My favourite breakfast is...

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:12 PM
In my case usually nothing! But if I had to eat breakfast then smoked haddock or kippers come top - along with eggs. I'll eat eggs all day.

What about you?

Too many to count:

A full Irish breakfast,

A plain NYC bagel with a schmear and smoked salmon,

A Jersey hard roll with Taylor Ham, fried eggs, and American cheese,

Whitefish salad on fresh Polish rye,

Tuna salad on soft white bread with potato chips

Eggs Benedict,

Eggs over easy with sides of either Irish or Canadian bacon and homefries cooked in bacon fat and paprika, and a side of silver dollar pancakes with Vermont maple syrup

A tin of mackerel in oil with a Portugese roll,

Norwegian Lapskaus (leftover meat and potato hash topped with eggs and a side of pickled fish),

Toasted frosted Pop Tarts with a side of crispy, streaky bacon,

Spinach, goat or feta cheese, mushroom, and onion omelette,

Raisin Bran or Mule-sh!t cereal and ice cold milk,

I'm sure there's more, but I have to mention a childhood favourite; what my mom called a Norwegian eggnog: raw eggs blended into chocolate milk and fresh herbs until it was really frothy.

I only usually eat breakfast if I am away staying in hotels (generally it's included in the room rate).

I've probably related this story before but ......

I was staying with my wife and a Muslim friend in Khon Kaen (Thailand) from Kuala Lumpur. We left him late evening and I said we'd see him at breakfast. By the time we arrived he was tucking into bacon and pork sausages, etc. I was taken aback and asked why he was eating pork products. He explained that the Quran permitted the eating of pork if nothing else was available. I said that there was plenty of other, non pork food available.

His answer: "Yes but I like bacon!"

Last edited:
Too many to count:

A full Irish breakfast,

A plain NYC bagel with a schmear and smoked salmon,

A Jersey hard roll with Taylor Ham, fried eggs, and American cheese,

Whitefish salad on fresh Polish rye,

Tuna salad on soft white bread with potato chips

Eggs Benedict,

Eggs over easy with sides of either Irish or Canadian bacon and homefries cooked in bacon fat and paprika, and a side of silver dollar pancakes with Vermont maple syrup

A tin of mackerel in oil with a Portugese roll,

Norwegian Lapskaus (leftover meat and potato hash topped with eggs and a side of pickled fish),

Toasted frosted Pop Tarts with a side of crispy, streaky bacon,

Spinach, goat or feta cheese, mushroom, and onion omelette,

Raisin Bran or Mule-sh!t cereal and ice cold milk,

I'm sure there's more, but I have to mention a childhood favourite; what my mom called a Norwegian eggnog: raw eggs blended into chocolate milk and fresh herbs until it was really frothy.

I think you just expanded my breakfast horizons! :hungry:

Eggs benedict, but only with made from scratch hollandaise, can't stand the powdered or canned stuff.

Beignets, preferably at the French Market in NOLA with chicory coffee, but at home too.

Tres leches or Oreo pancakes at a diner we visit for breakfast sometimes.

A childhood fav of scrambled eggs with diced ham and home fries.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts plain glazed. I could eat a whole dozen, but would then be in either a sugar coma or worshipping the porcelain throne.

Last edited:
I only usually eat breakfast if I am away staying in hotels (generally it's included in the room rate).

I've probably related this story before but ......

I was staying with my wife and a Muslim friend in Khon Kaen (Thailand) from Kuala Lumpur. We left him late evening and I said we'd see him at breakfast. By the time we arrived he was tucking into bacon and pork sausages, etc. I was taken aback and asked why he was eating pork products. He explained that the Quran permitted the eating of pork if nothing else was available. I said that there was plenty of other, none pork food available.

His answer: "Yes but I like bacon!"
Many years ago my boss, who was Jewish, used to send me to the local bakers for bacon or ham sandwiches. He told me never to tell his wife about his eating habits..... :giggle:

Years ago when I was a kid, I used to deliver "fresh out of the oven" porkie pies to a Jewish tailors in Leeds. I'll never found out who ate them (there were many non-Jewish tailoresses).

I'm sure there's more
Really! You've named a few things that I've rarely even heard of. much less as the first meal of the day.

For me, breakfast is in two categories:
  • Food I make to be eaten on the the way into work - this constitutes most of my breakfast consumption. This almost always means a breakfast burrito, since it's relatively easy to eat while driving. This morning, I made one with leftover pork short rib, egg, Swiss, sauerkraut, and radicchio with a sort of thousand island type dip (and some of the radicchio pesto I made previously). I look forward to this every morning, and I'm annoyed when I've eaten something heavy the night before and I don't feel hungry in the morning.
  • Food I order in restaurants when I have more time - I like the "full breakfast", which on this side of the pond means 2-3 eggs (sunny side up), hash browns. rye toast, and (if available) something like biscuits and gravy or corned beef hash. My favorite single item would be Eggs Benedict or Eggs Oscar (egg and crab)
I don't consider an omelet that I eat at midnight to be breakfast.

I do have to say that I consider an everything bagel with lox (smoked salmon), red onion, capers, and cream cheese to be The Perfect Food. It hits all the notes I love in food: salty, savory, filling, different layered flavors, and with a bit of a bite (from the onion).

When we go to Aldeburgh the b&b landlady makes scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and chorizo which is something we have started doing ourselves.

Continental breakfast
Full English

If I remember correctly the breakfasts in Holland always appeared to be cheese and ham. I wasn't overly keen but I would kill for a lumpia!

Back
Top Bottom