My favourite breakfast is...

Lumpia...?

An Indonesian spring roll inherited from when the Dutch ruled Indonesia (so I am informed). Exceptionally good; I first had one outside the railway station in Delft.

[Edit: and I have not eaten one in Indonesia!]

Last edited:
20180602_083929.jpg

Full English and a large mug of builders' [or perhaps fresh black coffee]. Usually only a one day a week thing so what the heck - enjoy :hungry:

Brekky on a Sunday is crumpets with Vegemite, nice hot cup of earl gray tea. Hardly ever have brekky during the week, Saturday maybe brunch, baked beans on toast and 2 poached eggs. Lots of pepper.

Russ

Scrambled eggs and wholemeal toast, with either home smoked salmon or streaky bacon - dry cured by a good butcher, not supermarket rubbish.

It has already been mentioned a couple of times upthread, eggs benedict.

However, neither mentioned a key ingredient to make it a perfect breakfast...
...a glass of champagne!
[other quality sparkling wine would also suffice]
On the rare occasions when my wife and I get to go out to eat for breakfast, we look for places that serve a proper brunch. This means mimosas for her and Bloody Mary's for me. There are some excellent takes on the mimosa - which is basically champagne and juice - but I still prefer a good (spicy) Bloody Mary. One place in downtown Detroit gives you a huge glass with vodka and ice, and you get to build your own:

o.jpg

A buddy of mine from Belfast makes the best Bloody Marys in the world. He used to be the bartender at my local pub in NYC, so I often helped hum close at 4 AM(ish), then I give him a ride home where he mix up a batch.

Tomato juice and vodka, Worcestershire sauce, lemon and lime juice, freshly grated horseradish, Tobasco, pickle juice, black pepper, and a stalk of celery.

Occasionally, he'd skewer a couple of steamed cold shrimp and drown them in it to make it a meal.

Back
Top Bottom