My favourite egg dish

I'm not used to eat eggs very often.I like them mostly as frittata (any kind), boiled or cooked in tomato sauce (Purgatory eggs) and I also love to beat the yolks with sugar and a bit of Marsala or even espresso coffee...then eat this with spoon..

I like quiche too - and often make them. Some are called tarts - a quiche has an egg based filling - a savoury tart can be any savoury filling. So the final recipe below is a tart not a quiche. You get a trip back to some of my earlier not so good food photography attempts if you look at these.

Wild Mushroom Tart
Butternut Squash, Spinach and Cheddar Quiche
Pea, Spring Onion, Dill and Cheddar Quiche in a Herb Crust
Pissaladiere Quiche
Ham, Olive and Cheese Quiche
Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I like crustless quiche, as well. I have a 3 piece set (Quiche pan, 2 quart souffle dish & lid) I've had & used for years.

Fillings - anything goes - cherry tomatoes (like a clafoutis), asparagus spokes or veggies of choice, cheese(s) of choice. Perfect with a light salad (spinach, mushrooms, Spanish onion, Mandarin oranges), fresh fruit of choice, and wine for lunch or dinner.

I'm partial to Jacques' bacon and gruyere quiche.

The Master.

View: https://youtu.be/fwn6--ow6Q4
Fixed.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I like crustless when I'm low carbing. I've see a hash brown potato crust, as well. A little salmon added to the quiche can't hurt either.

I love eggs for what I can do with them, but I must say I prefer them as helpers in my kitchen rather than the main show.

Not saying I don't like eggs, I have a breakfast with eggs at least once a week mostly on sunday. But they're not my favorite start to the day either. If I have eggs I prefer the silky, creamy scrambled version to have on toast with butter and a nice rasher of bacon for contrast. Sometimes I'll fry them up with cheese and serve them with hash browns and grilled tomatoes for dinner if I want a quick fix.
But for me personally my favorite way to have eggs is in cakes or meringues. I love chocolate pavlova with berries, which also honours the egg very much. Just in a different form. Also custard is something I very much love.

I didn't start enjoy eating eggs until about 18 years old. Even now I can only eat them in moderation.

I did make us eggs the other night. They were great. I had some leftover butter I seasoned with onion, garlic powder, and added parmesan cheese. I melted that in the pan and added my whisked eggs. I add a little milk. I decided to add a little water this time. I read some article about fluffy eggs. While cooking them I added some dehydrated bell pepper powder. They turned out great! I was tempted to make them again the next day. I'll eat eggs on their own maybe once a month.

Omelettes. My favourite is "tortilla de patatas" with a few variations. An interesting variation was to make the omelette with left over vegetable masala (potatoes, cauliflower, onion, tomato and, of course, chillis).

I tried the "cling film" method of poaching eggs today. I don't think that I'll bother again. Far too finicky.

I tried the "cling film" method of poaching eggs today. I don't think that I'll bother again. Far too finicky.

The only thing I found this technique useful for was to include herbs or spices in the poached egg. That works quite well. I'm sure I did post a photo at some point...

Last edited:
The only thing I found this technique useful for was to include herbs or spices in the poached egg. That works really well. I'm sure I did post a photo at some point...

I can understand that.

My problems, being ham fisted, were:

The cling film stuck to the bowl.
They were difficult to remove from the boiling water (I tried tongs which were useless and reverting to my hands I burnt my fingers).
One egg actually stuck to the cling film (again I burnt my fingers).

Back
Top Bottom