My favourite egg dish

One egg actually stuck to the cling film (again I burnt my fingers).

I think that is what happened to me too! And I ended up with a 'raggy' result. Maybe you are supposed to oil the cling film first.

To remove from water use a draining spoon (as in 3rd photo)

Precisely what I use for removing poached eggs from water when they are not wrapped in cling film. Far less dangerous because I do not need to handle the cling film.

I'm not used to eat eggs very often.I like them mostly as frittata (any kind), boiled or cooked in tomato sauce (Purgatory eggs) and I also love to beat the yolks with sugar and a bit of Marsala or even espresso coffee...then eat this with spoon..

A quick type of zabaglione? Though I guess if you used hot coffee drizzled in a little at the time, thus "cooking" it, you could actually call it a zabaglione.

I think that is what happened to me too! And I ended up with a 'raggy' result. Maybe you are supposed to oil the cling film first.

Since you did that, I ran across a trick someone used when covering their proofing bread, spray the cling wrap with a cooking spray like Pam and it won't stick to anything, but will nicely cover and protect rising bread dough. I'm sure it would work for your eggs too, and there's such a thin film of it, it won't fry them.

My favorite egg dish by far is Jacque Pepin's eggs cocotte with creamed mushrooms and gruyere cheese. We first had them when I was trying to find different dishes to use up 3 black truffles Craig surprised me with once. The truffles were used as a garnish, but I love the dish even without them.

My favorite egg dish by far is Jacque Pepin's eggs cocotte with creamed mushrooms and gruyere cheese. We first had them when I was trying to find different dishes to use up 3 black truffles Craig surprised me with once. The truffles were used as a garnish, but I love the dish even without them.
I've followed his recipe for this several times, substituting chopped ham for the mushrooms.

My favorite egg dish by far is Jacque Pepin's eggs cocotte

I looked up this: Oeufs en cocotte Jacques Pépin – The Nosey Chef

May not be the same as no Gruyere is listed. This recipe turns the eggs out onto the plate which is unusual. But what is puzzling me is the 5 minutes cooking time with the heat switched off.

I really can't imagine how they could be cooked in such a short time. When I bake eggs en cocotte they take much longer to cook.

Last edited:
There's a good video of Pepin making eggs cocotte in little narrow pots instead of wider ramekins, and it's just a pleasure to watch, but I can't find it at the moment.

However, I did find another one, and he's showing another cook how to make them, and he puts the ramekins in the water bath and says, "Three...four minutes and they are done," then spoons one out and you can see the white underneath is still completely clear, but he eats it right up.

He then tells the other chef to try one and it's pretty obvious from her expression that she's not too hep to it. :laugh:

I'm a huge Pepin devotee, and one thing I've learned over the years, there's nothing that man won't eat. Doesn't matter the ingredient, and it can be raw or burnt, he doesn't care. It's all good to him.

Oh, and I found a recipe for his soft-cooked egg gratin dish...that'll likely make an appearance here this month.

A quick type of zabaglione? Though I guess if you used hot coffee drizzled in a little at the time, thus "cooking" it, you could actually call it a zabaglione.

Right, a sort of zabaione even if in my very quick home version and not accurate at all like the original recipe tradition.. but I don’t care very much, it’s something so good that for me is enough like that. I have to say that the addition of hot coffee is special..

Back
Top Bottom