My favourite egg dish

However, I did find another one, and he's showing another cook how to make them, and he puts the ramekins in the water bath and says, "Three...four minutes and they are done," then spoons one out and you can see the white underneath is still completely clear, but he eats it right up.

Were they cooked on the hob as in the other recipe?

Hmmm - I said elsewhere I am particular about eggs and hate them overcooked. But clear whites in a cocotte? I really don't want that. Experiments will happen using the hob next week.

Back when my grandkids were little, I used to make them what has now become known as Grandma's eggs. Nothing really special except for the fact the kids liked them and requested them whenever they stayed over night. I would just put the eggs in a bowl with a little bit of water, a real tiny pinch of red pepper flakes, whisk them up and then add white American cheese. I remember some years later, someone asked my grandson what was the secret to Grandma's eggs. He said, real proud that he knew, WATER !! lol That is why they will always be my favorite egg recipe.

Can you get the yolk to stay in the middle? I never can.

I've never tried it, but I've heard tell that if you set the eggs on their sides the night before, the yolks will settle and center once they're boiled.

We had this discussion a while back & I experimented and have some photos - can't locate them right now.

The way to do it is to hold the egg point side down and flick your wrist downwards for about 10 times. This moves the yolk from the round end towards the pointed end. Do this directly before boiling the egg. When you boil the egg, for best results it needs to be point side down. This can only be achieved if you place something which will hold the egg (s) in the base of the pan or as I often do if only cooking a few eggs, by cooking them wrapped in foil and covered in water in a narrow container in the microwave.

Yes - you can boil eggs in the microwave. No they don't explode as long as they are wrapped in foil. Recipe - How to boil an egg in the microwave

Last edited:
We had this discussion a while back & I experimented and have some photos - can't locate them right now.

I know and I have tried some of your suggestions. Up to now nothing has worked satisfactorily. I haven't yet tried the "boiling point down" approach because I do not have a stainless steel spring of the correct size. An egg cup is of little use as it bounces around in the pan as the water boils. As I usually only boil the egg for 60 seconds I may try just holding it with tongs and then place it into the egg cup for the subsequent 15 minute "resting" period. Worth a try I think.

I know and I have tried some of your suggestions. Up to now nothing has worked satisfactorily. I haven't yet tried the "boiling point down" approach because I do not have a stainless steel spring of the correct size. An egg cup is of little use as it bounces around in the pan as the water boils. As I usually only boil the egg for 60 seconds I may try just holding it with tongs and then place it into the egg cup for the subsequent 15 minute "resting" period. Worth a try I think.

I just corrected my post above - you need to flick about 10 times. If you are using the boiling and resting method then tongs could work for the first bit. A bit tedious if you are cooking six eggs though. Have you tried microwaving?

Using the flick method. The first on left is unflicked - or not flicked enough (can't remember).

Using the flick method. The first on left is unflicked - or not flicked enough (can't remember).

The example(s) on the right look ideal. I shall try that and also holding them with tongs.

No, I haven't tried microwaving them.

Back
Top Bottom