My favourite egg dish

The example(s) on the right look ideal. I shall try that and also holding them with tongs.

No, I haven't tried microwaving them.

It may make a difference if the eggs are older. Older whites are looser but I don't know if that would make a difference.

It may make a difference if the eggs are older. Older whites are looser but I don't know if that would make a difference.

Maybe chicken and duck eggs are different also. The yolk I have found is generally proportionally larger in the duck eggs.

I was once told to keep stirring them while cooking and it centred the yolk. I've never tried........ Too busy cooking toast for my eggs.

Russ

Do the Brits do curried eggs, like Yorky just posted but I add butter, parsley, mayo and a bit of curry powder, mix then pipe back into egg.

Russ

Do the Brits do curried eggs, like Yorky just posted but I add butter, parsley, mayo and a bit of curry powder, mix then pipe back into egg.

Russ
Those are pretty easy to find here, along with egg salad (and chicken salad) sandwiches with a bit of curry powder added. They're both considered "upscale" versions of those dishes.

I've made them before - I'd gone on a kick for about a month of making a lot of foods using curry powder, and I really enjoyed it, but then MrsTasty let me know that she didn't care for that flavor at all, so that was the end of that.

Do the Brits do curried eggs,

Curried eggs in the UK means exactly that - a curry made with eggs in it. Devilled eggs or stuffed eggs are much more popular in the States than here. Here they are considered a retro buffet - rather like cheese & pineapple on sticks or cocktail sausages on sticks. I can remember then appearing at buffets in the 60's & early 70's but virtually never these days.

As Nigella Lawson says:

While devilled eggs had their moment in the UK – at about the same time the hostess trolley held sway – they are an essential part of the American entertaining tradition.

However she goes on to say:

There’s not much that can get me squeezing a fancy-nozzled piping bag, but this recipe – even if mine diverges somewhat – compelled me to. Although they are a bit fiddly to make, they’re not difficult, and they are always a major hit. And I’m talking about genuine enjoyment not ironic amusement. As many as I make, I never have a single one left over.

Devilled eggs

I do make them sometimes in lots of different ways with all kinds of spices added and often a little yoghurt as I can't eat mayo (& anyway, it saves on calories) - but I don't bother with a piping bag.

I've made them before - I'd gone on a kick for about a month of making a lot of foods using curry powder, and I really enjoyed it, but then MrsTasty let me know that she didn't care for that flavor at all, so that was the end of that.

They don't need to be made with curry powder...

Recipe - Cajun Style Stuffed Eggs

I don't know what you would call these eggs....

The yolks are removed and mashed with boiled potatoes, milk, butter, minced onion, chillis and coriander leaf. This mixture is then put into the egg and the whole dipped in batter and deep fried.

Oh, eggs...

Let me count the ways!!!!

Soft boiled (I will do hard boiled to eat during road trips)
Fried eggs - at home I'll do them sunny side up, out I may order them over easy to make sure the whites are done white.
Omeettes - definitely want cheese in them, but I run with whatever's at hand.
Poached eggs - yes!!!
Ramen eggs - yes!!!
Scrambled eggs - Only if cooked properly. Large, soft curds, no watery residue. Gordon Ramsay cannot cook them properly. He beats them into a sad tasteless submission.

I'm sure I could come up with more...

morning glory - yes, deviled eggs are extremely popular here, especially in the summer months at family cookouts. Host a family gathering and no deviled eggs - that's a quick way to become the gossip of the family, and not in a good way.

Also, for something so basic, people have their own recipes, closely guarded, and there is much quiet competition between makers of deviled eggs within a family.

I have my own recipe, and I think they're pretty good, and when I moved back home after 20 years away, at the first gathering, I made deviled eggs. Having lived away from family for so long, I was kind of out of the loop with family dynamics, and hadn't realized that my SIL Melissa, whom I was meeting for the first time and all, had ascended to the role of "Deviled Egg Maker" in .

At the party, all the food laid out, and there were her trays of deviled eggs, then I showed up with several dozen of my own. Let's just say, I didn't have to ask which woman was Melissa. I figured that out by one look at her face once I sat out my eggs.

All during the party, people kept coming up to me and mentioning, "So, you, ahhh, brought deviled eggs...you know, ummm, Melissa usually makes the deviled eggs...those are hers over there, you know, the ones she made..."

No one touched my eggs until Melissa's had all been eaten first, and believe me, she stayed by the table, and if anyone so much as looked at my spread of eggs, they got a withering look and a, "the deviled eggs you want are over here," commandment.

Thankfully, deviled eggs being what they are, as soon as all of Melissa's were gone, people were allowed to eat mine, and Melissa even made a big public announcement, more than once, that she was happy I saw fit to bring some spare eggs, since hers were so good, she always ran out, no matter how many she made.

That was 15 years ago, and she still barely talks to me!

Like Nigella says, there are never enough and there are never leftovers. I'm always amazed how I'd never consider eating six eggs in a single sitting at any other time, but put a tray of a dozen deviled eggs down next to me, and they'll be gone in 20 minutes, no problem whatsoever

Those are pretty easy to find here, along with egg salad (and chicken salad) sandwiches with a bit of curry powder added. They're both considered "upscale" versions of those dishes.

Lmao, that's not good!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom