My favourite egg dish

Curried eggs in the UK means exactly that - a curry made with eggs in it. Devilled eggs or stuffed eggs are much more popular in the States than here. Here they are considered a retro buffet - rather like cheese & pineapple on sticks or cocktail sausages on sticks. I can remember then appearing at buffets in the 60's & early 70's but virtually never these days.

As Nigella Lawson says:

However she goes on to say:

Devilled eggs

I do make them sometimes in lots of different ways with all kinds of spices added and often a little yoghurt as I can't eat mayo (& anyway, it saves on calories) - but I don't bother with a piping bag.

Piping is a nice touch. Well.... That's what I think.

Russ

I've never tried it, but I've heard tell that if you set the eggs on their sides the night before, the yolks will settle and center once they're boiled.
Here are three hard-boiled eggs from this morning. Two were stored in their sides and one was not.

Can you tell the difference? I really can't. The one in the middle looks the most centered, but even it's not that centered.

Here are three hard-boiled eggs from this morning. Two were stored in their sides and one was not.

Can you tell the difference? I really can't. The one in the middle looks the most centered, but even it's not that centered.

The only method that ever works is the one I mentioned above. Believe me, I've tried every other method. The result is in this post.

I tried the "boiling point down method".

I placed the egg in an egg cup (point down) in a pan of tepid water. Brought to the boil hanging onto both the cup and the egg with tongs. Boiled for 60 seconds then turned off the gas and left to rest, covered, for a further 15 minutes.

Cooled the egg with cold water and then peeled.

Sliced in half.

Apart from the first degree burns on my wrist there was minimal difference.

.....also - the egg you used is quite old (doesn't mean not acceptable to eat). The size of the air pocket at the round end denotes the age. This may make a difference. In fact, if the air pocket wasn't there - the yolks in your image above would appear more 'centred'.

Back
Top Bottom