My kitchen

When we had the floods in September 2013 our kitchen drain worked in reverse. As did the shower outlets.

That must have been a nightmare. All of that wastewater flowing back into the house.

Indoor drains are tricky. Drains work on gravity, so floor drains have to be in somewhat elevated rooms (at least in relation to the discharge, into a septic field or drain), and then a whole room that drains has to be watertight, or else you're talking mold and structural damage from leaks.

I'm not a plumber, but I've owned some interesting homes, and I watch a lot of TV.

I'll show you my buttcrack if necessary.

:headshake:

That must have been a nightmare. All of that wastewater flowing back into the house.

It wasn't waste water as such but it was very dirty. It was 150mm deep in the kitchen and bathrooms and 50mm deep in the lounge and bedrooms. All the rooms are tiled and the lounge and bedrooms have a 150mm tile upstand around the walls. The kitchen and bathrooms are tiled floor to ceiling.

floods (2).jpg

floods (3).jpg

Even flooded it's beautiful.

I can see why they use so much tile.

What caused the flood? Just a storm, or was regional drainage interrupted in some way?

When we had the floods in September 2013 our kitchen drain worked in reverse. As did the shower outlets.

For that to happen here means the septic system has flooded and if there is enough water to flood the septic tank and drain field the house is already underwater. Never happened yet but is always a worry every hurricane threat. I'm in the red zone for flooding tho in my entire lifetime we have never flooded in this area.

Even flooded it's beautiful.

I can see why they use so much tile.

What caused the flood? Just a storm, or was regional drainage interrupted in some way?

The idiot in charge of the local reservoir told his staff not to release water whilst he was away on holiday. When he returned, the banks were close to collapsing and he ordered the sluice gates opened fully. They should have been controlled to release a little at a time to permit the water to evaporate. The problem was exacerbated by another smaller local reservoir breaking it's banks.

The idiot in charge of the local reservoir told his staff not to release water whilst he was away on holiday. When he returned, the banks were close to collapsing and he ordered the sluice gates opened fully. They should have been controlled to release a little at a time to permit the water to evaporate. The problem was exacerbated by another smaller local reservoir breaking it's banks.

Seven days after the start of the flooding, the local government proclaimed that they would compensate any household who had been flooded for more than 5 days a sum of Bht 2,000.00 (£45.00). Of course, by that time it was obvious that there was no household that had been underwater for more than 3 days. The cost of the flooding repairs to me was almost Bht 200,000.00 (albeit I upgraded my chipboard furniture to teak wood furniture in case it happened again).

old chipboard.jpg

new teak.jpg

new teak bed.jpg

5 days under water gives you no more damage than 3 days underwater...once you are underwater you are wet...5 days doesn't make things wetter just moldier and stinkier.

5 days under water gives you no more damage than 3 days underwater...once you are underwater you are wet...5 days doesn't make things wetter just moldier and stinkier.

But it would cost the local government money! No flies on them.

The government actually offered free sandbags (after the initial flooding) but you were required to travel to city hall and fill them yourselves. Given that most of the city was under 1.5 metres of water there was not much chance for me in the pick-up never mind the poor buggers on motorbikes.

We did receive food parcels (compliments of the King) which were delivered by the army in 6 wheel drive monsters.

Food parcel 1.jpg

Khow padt

Food parcel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom