Recipe My special fried rice

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:12 AM
20230306_175402.jpg

AKA Royal special fried rice as named by another person.

I have never liked fried rice, whether restaurant/takeout or homemade, but DH loves it. So, I was looking at recipes to see if I could find one I might like when I came across one that was rated as 4.9 out of 5 stars. Checked out the reviews, made notes on the little changes people made and came up with the following after several tweaks and changes/additions to our tastes. I really like this recipe.

This recipe can be made vegetarian/vegan by removing the animal proteins. The egg omelette is optional depending on whether or not eggs are part of your diet choices. The bean sprouts are a good source of protein in this dish.

NOTES: You absolutely must have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go, preferably set out in the order they need to go into the pan, as this dish cooks  very quickly. You will not have time to prep once you start to cook. Premix the liquid ingredients together in a small bowl.

I would strongly recommend cooking the rice the day before or at least morning of making this dish, then spreading it out on a sheet pan and refrigerating until time to cook. This allows the rice time to dry out some so you don't have gummy fried rice.

The best thing about fried rice is that it is versatile. Don't like something in the recipe, leave it out or replace with something you do. Want to add an ingredient, go for it. Make it like you like it.

Ingredients

1/4 pound leftover cooked Asian style pork, 1/4ish inch diced (you could use raw, just prep it and marinate it like the chicken below)
6 large shrimp, diced
1 chicken thigh cut in small pieces (1/4ish inch) then marinated in a bit of tamari, hoisin, just a touch of sesame oil and some minced ginger and garlic for 20 minutes at least.
1/3 cup vegetable oil (divided)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp finely minced ginger
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
1 shredded carrot
1/2 of a small red bell, diced
6-8 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thickly sliced
1/2 can baby corn, rinsed, drained and then sliced in 1/4 inch thick rounds
1/3 to 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
2 cups fresh mung bean sprouts
2 tsp white sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp hoisin sauce, can add up to another Tbsp, but I was good with this amount, can also use 3/4 Tbsp hoisin and 3/4 Tbsp oyster sauce, or just add in some oyster sauce
2-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
2-4 tsp chili garlic oil (or other hot sauce like sriracha), to your taste
1-1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
3/8 tsp sesame oil
4 cups cooked jasmine rice, about 1-1/4 cups uncooked rice plus 1-7/8 cups water plus a good pinch of salt
1/3 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)

Directions

Heat half the oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and leave to cook on the base of the wok for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or until almost cooked through. Carefully remove omelette from wok with a spatula and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside. I cut it up a bit to make it easier at the end.

Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, red bell, mushrooms for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken (and raw pork if using), stir fry for 30 seconds, stir in shrimp and green peas, stir for about 15 seconds. Add bean sprouts, stir fry for about 15 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed precooked pork pieces (if using), baby corn and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.

I like to drizzle mine with a bit of sesame oil right before serving.

Last edited:
View attachment 96960

AKA Royal special fried rice as named by another person.

I have never liked fried rice, whether restaurant/takeout or homemade, but DH loves it. So, I was looking at recipes to see if I could find one I might like when I came across one that was rated as 4.9 out of 5 stars. Checked out the reviews, made notes on the little changes people made and came up with the following after several tweaks and changes/additions to our tastes. I really like this recipe.

This recipe can be made vegetarian/vegan by removing the animal proteins. The egg omelette is optional depending on whether or not eggs are part of your diet choices. The bean sprouts are a good source of protein in this dish.

NOTES: You absolutely must have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go, preferably set out in the order they need to go into the pan, as this dish cooks  very quickly. you will not have time to prep once you start to cook. Premix the liquid ingredients together in a small bowl.

I would strongly recommend cooking the rice the day before or at least morning of making this dish, then spreading it out on a sheet pan and refrigerating until time to cook. This allows the rice time to dry out some so you don't have gummy fried rice.

The best thing about fried rice is that it is versatile. Don't like something in the recipe leave it out or replace with something you do. Want to add an ingredient, go for it. Make it like you like it.

Ingredients

1/4 pound leftover cooked Asian style pork, 1/4ish inch diced (you could use raw, just prep it and marinate it like the chicken below)
6 large shrimp, diced
1 chicken thigh cut in small pieces (1/4ish inch) then marinated in a bit of tamari, hoisin, just a touch of sesame oil and some minced ginger and garlic for 20 minutes at least.
1/3 cup vegetable oil (divided)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp finely diced ginger
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
1 shredded carrot
1/2 of a small red bell, diced
6-8 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thickly sliced
1/2 can baby corn, rinsed, drained and then sliced in 1/4 inch thick rounds
1/3 to 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
2 cups fresh mung bean sprouts
2 tsp white sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp hoisin sauce, can add up to another Tbsp, but I was good with this amount, can also use 3/4 Tbsp hoisin and 3/4 Tbsp oyster sauce, or just add in some oyster sauce
2-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
2-4 tsp chili garlic oil (or other hot sauce like sriracha), to your taste
1-1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
3/8 tsp sesame oil
4 cups cooked jasmine rice, about 1-1/4 cups uncooked rice plus 1-7/8 cups water plus a good pinch of salt
1/3 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)

Directions

Heat half the oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and leave to cook on the base of the wok for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or until almost cooked through. Carefully remove omelette from wok with a spatula and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside. I cut it up a bit to make it easier at the end.

Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, red bell, mushrooms for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken (and raw pork if using), stir fry for 30 seconds, stir in shrimp and green peas, stir for about 15 seconds. Add bean sprouts, stir fry for about 15 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed precooked pork pieces, baby corn and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.

Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger and carrots for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed pork pieces and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.

I love fried rice! Sounds yummy 😋

Yes, I make fried rice pretty regularly and your tips are so spot on. This is a slightly different version than what I make but still looks and sounds wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom