National Pizza Day

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:42 AM
Today is National Pizza Day in the UK - but I think also in the USA? Anyway, will you be eating pizza today? I only just found out about this so my dinner plans have changed and I'm about to make some pizza dough.

What are you very favourite toppings?

Still0207_00006_1518007806287_4899246_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Last edited:
Today is National Pizza Day in the UK - but I think also in the USA? Anyway, will you be eating pizza today? I only just found out about this so my dinner plans have changed and I'm about to make some pizza dough.

Oh my! National Pizza day?

Generally, I like Seafood Pizza, either a Salmon with Scallions or a Prawn, Scallop, Clam with Scallions. Both use a white sauce, 4 cheese or some cream cheese type.

But seeing as how I'll have to run down to the local Pizza parlor, Canadian Bacon, Pepperoni, Mushroom, Garlic, Sun Dried Tomato and Sweet Banana Wax Pepper or if other, Jalapeno. Thick Crust.

My absolute favorite Pizza? I would have to go to Chicago, down Clark Street toward the Lincoln Park Zoo to find the Chicago Pizza an Oven Grinder restaurant. I'd have to expect to wait in a line that circles outside and down the street. But digging into a deep dish pizza by the pound or 1/2 pound that is cooked in a bread tin is usually worth it for a lot of Chicago natives and visitors as well.

http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/
Quaint shop, but absolutely the best! Looking at their website, things have changed a bit. Their famous pot-pie pizzas are now balls that can be taken home frozen and they have remodeled their interior.

I used to ask for a "Cheese Blizzard" too, which they understood to mean "extra Cheese." I don't anymore.

We shall not go to a Pizzería in Barcelona tonight ..

I do not care for "tomato sauce" on pizza or tons of greasy ingredients ..

How do I eat my Pizza ? In Italy !! Crisp & Thin ..

1) Bianca ( White ) ..
2) Focaccia with Evoo & Fresh Sage or Fresh Rosemary or Fresh Genovese Basil ( Dough Same - Italian Organic Pizza Flour Unbleached ) ..
3) Mozzarella di Bufala, Fresh Tomato & Genovese Basil & Italian Evoo ..

Last edited:
My wife and I love pizza's. We hit a local brewery about once a week. I'll look for some pictures. Not sure if I have saved any. No worries. We'll be going again. The pizzas are cooked in a fire oven (or whatever their called). Thin crust. I love almost any toppings on a pizza (minus pineapple).

They have a goat cheese and pine nut pizza that is probably my favorite :)

Quaint shop, but absolutely the best! Looking at their website, things have changed a bit. Their famous pot-pie pizzas are now balls that can be taken home frozen and they have remodeled their interior.

What a fab frontage. I have to post an image - even if I knew nothing about this place I'd have to go in and find out!

int_256-2.jpg

I have a top-five ranking:
  1. Pizza Margherita (tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil and evoo)
  2. Pizza with raw ham and rocket/arugula (and tomato sauce or baby tomatoes and Parmesan flakes)
  3. Pizza Diavola (tomato, mozzarella and spicy salame)
  4. Pizza Napoli - not neapolitan method - (tomato, mozzarella, anchovies)
  5. Pizza with seafoods
There is another pizza that I call "unsocial" for the smell..(to laugh, it's very good): with canned tuna and onions...

Their famous pot-pie pizzas are now balls

Oh no. I looked again and they are not balls. They just did away with the bread tins and now use circular shaped dishes and tip the whole thing upside down in a puffed up ball top of dough. That'll work.

int_192-2-e1476376376300.jpg

Hey, notice the jar of oregano on the table? Most places only give you red pepper and grated Parmesan Cheese. I appreciate that.

Video: Can't link to it. You have to go to The Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder website.

Last edited:
I judge a pizza place on their pepperoni pizza. Lately we've become very picky and much prefer wood fired oven places. There is absolutely nothing better than homemade pizza, either grilled or cooked on the BGE or Kettlepizza kit for my Weber grill. This kit converts the Weber into a wood fired oven without spending a couple grand. The BGE can do pizza at 900F and the Kettlepizza kit will get around 800F. I'm not a big fan of Pizza Hut, but I sure miss the Priazzo they used to make, especially the Portofino.

My favorite is a Margharita pizza, but I also like a olive oil cooked with fresh garlic, mozz, and tissue thin slices of porchetta, then topped with lightly dressed arugula after cooking. I also like a crust drzzled with an Alfredo sauce, topped with sauteed leeks, mozz, thin slices of guanciale, cooked in a super hot oven, pulled out and a couple of eggs cracked on top, back in oven for a minute or so, then pulled and yolks broke open and tilt the pie to spread.

Back
Top Bottom