Yes apparnetly it hangs for months and months....those who try it typically gag when they first attempt to eat it because of the high ammonia content. I haven't tried it - yet ;) - apparently the smell is far worse than the taste.
I totally get its local and traditional thing but it falls into "how the hell did they find that out?" given that the greenland shark they use is poisonous when fresh, and only safe after processing and curing who months...
who was the first person who went - "there's some of that poisonous shark there - looks like its been dead for months....why don't we try it?"
I've watched people eat it on TV and YouTube. Everyone gags. Tony Bourdain couldn't handle it, and he ate everything.