New Orange Line Trains

I hate the underground. When I lived in London, I travelled by London cab mostly or bus - or often walked. I just hate being enclosed underground with crowds of people.

I don't like the NY Subway, but the London Underground was fine, IMO. Unlike the NY Subway, it was clean, and I didn't have to be ready to punch some low-life in the face.

We actually have a pretty decent light rail system in Dallas. There has been a plan for a high-speed rail system between Dallas a Houston for 20-plus years, but conservatives in the State legislature keep blocking the funding. Seems that public transportation is "communism" in Texas politics. "That don't burn enough oil."

CD

What are you waiting for? Go somewhere, for no reason at all. Just go, find a bar, have a beer, and go back. Why? Because it's free.

CD
My mate uses it all the time. Me I'm a snob when it comes to public transport. I havnt ridden a bus in 50 years, or a train. In saying that my mate wants me to take the ferry to quail island. I will go just because as you say I should try something different.
This will involve a car trip to lyttleton first. I will start a thread of my day trip when we do it. I promise .

Russ

My mate uses it all the time. Me I'm a snob when it comes to public transport. I havnt ridden a bus in 50 years, or a train. In saying that my mate wants me to take the ferry to quail island. I will go just because as you say I should try something different.
This will involve a car trip to lyttleton first. I will start a thread of my day trip when we do it. I promise .

Russ

Yes, do it. I love a ride on a ferry. I ride a ferry to Bolivar Peninsula to go camping on the beach. It is wonderful to breathe the fresh ocean air for 40 minutes on the ride.

CD

Yes, do it. I love a ride on a ferry. I ride a ferry to Bolivar Peninsula to go camping on the beach. It is wonderful to breathe the fresh ocean air for 40 minutes on the ride.

CD
I did the ferry ride to quail island when my son was about 10 for a school trip. I was a parent helper. All the kids wanted to be in my group (6 kids per adult). They knew I was an easy touch. I loved the trip exploring the island.
I will do this trip again after 35 years!!
Russ

CD
When I lived in Plattsburgh, NY, the fastest way across/around Lake Champlain and over to Vermont was to take the ferry across.

I fell in serious love with a deckhand on the ferry. I weighed all of 130lbs soaking wet at the time, and she had to be a descendant of the original Amazons, as she was about 6’2” and probably had a hundred pounds on me, but she carried it well.

For about a month, I rode that damn ferry over to Vermont and back every chance I got, mooning over that girl, until one of the guys on the boat told me I was barking up the wrong tree; she already had a girlfriend, which was pretty salacious back in small-town upstate NY in 1986.

“I prob’ly saved yer life, anyway,” he said, looking me over, “cuz she’d snap ya in two before ya even got it outta yer pants.” :laugh:

When I lived in Plattsburgh, NY, the fastest way across/around Lake Champlain and over to Vermont was to take the ferry across.

I fell in serious love with a deckhand on the ferry. I weighed all of 130lbs soaking wet at the time, and she had to be a descendant of the original Amazons, as she was about 6’2” and probably had a hundred pounds on me, but she carried it well.

For about a month, I rode that damn ferry over to Vermont and back every chance I got, mooning over that girl, until one of the guys on the boat told me I was barking up the wrong tree; she already had a girlfriend, which was pretty salacious back in small-town upstate NY in 1986.

“I prob’ly saved yer life, anyway,” he said, looking me over, “cuz she’d snap ya in two before ya even got it outta yer pants.” :laugh:

Lol, I barked up the wrong tree as well as a youngster. Shame!

Russ

Does anyone know why most subway trains are black in the front ends of the cars? Is it something new to make them look better? 🤔

What are you waiting for? Go somewhere, for no reason at all. Just go, find a bar, have a beer, and go back. Why? Because it's free
Dead right - I second that. Just get on a train/bus and get off when you arrive somewhere interesting.
I did that in London a month or so ago, when I first arrived. Took a train to Waterloo, then just wandered, pretty aimlessly, all around the West End. It was so much fun, I did the same again the following day!

Russ
I love ferry boats! I like the really big ones. When we went to Nova Scotia, we took a ferry from New Brunswick across the Bay of Fundy (Gulf of Maine). It was so big there were semi trucks on it in the parking area, along with a slew of cars and passenger trucks. I think it took us almost 2 hours to go across the bay? We saw pilot whales from up top. Oh that was such a great trip!

Edited to add that I like trains, too. Love them. I want to take a train trip across Canada someday, one of my sisters and I were looking into it before the pandemic struck.

Back
Top Bottom