Recipe No sugar added tomato ketchup

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:01 PM
Recently my nephew's wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (in her 7th month of pregnancy) and now she has to watch her sugar intake until after the baby is born. I was looking online and saw that a 12-14 oz. bottle of no sugar added ketchup can cost anywhere from $4 to as much as $8. Whoa! I did buy her a bottle though (as well as some no sugar added barbecue sauce), but it got me thinking: how hard can it be to make a ketchup without adding sugar or high fructose corn syrup? I started looking at recipes online. Some of them call for cloves, some call for allspice, and there were a variety of other spices and seasonings for various recipes that had me wondering, so I decided to try to come up with something that contained some of those seasonings that seemed the most appealing to me. I used Stevia for my sweetener since it's plant based and made the most sense to me. Oh, and while I was doing my research, I was totally taken aback at how much hidden sugar is in regular ketchup. Yes, tomatoes have some sugar naturally, but there can be up to 4 grams of added sugar in a single serving of ketchup!

Some recipes I looked at called for using fresh tomatoes and some recipes listed canned whole or crushed tomatoes. It's winter here so no homegrown tomatoes on hand, and with canned whole or crushed tomatoes, there would be pureeing and straining involved, so I went with something a little different: canned tomato sauce! The crockpot (AKA slow cooker) made this task easier, as there is a long process of cooking down and reducing the tomato sauce to make ketchup. No cloves or allspice here, though I did end up using a little cinnamon.

So here's what I came up with. I used it on my cheeseburger at dinner last night and also for dunking fries, and although it wasn't nearly as sweet as regular ketchup, I actually think I prefer this. I don't have any sugar issues currently, but it might be beneficial to cut out some of those unnecessary hidden sugars if I can find an alternative that doesn't contain them and tastes good.

If you try this recipe, you might decide to add a little more of this and a little less of that, but recipes are generally adaptable and should be tailored to each individual's taste. Give it a go!

INGREDIENTS:
1 28 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar but white would work well)
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp of stevia
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 pinch of cinnamon

No sugar added ketchup ingredients.jpg
No sugar added ketchup in crockpot before cooking.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS:
In a small slow cooker, combine all ingredients and cook on high heat without the lid for approximately 3 hours, stirring and scraping the bottom of the cooker about once every 1/2 hour. Adjust seasonings as needed and cook on low for additional reducing of the mixture if necessary. Cool and put in an airtight bowl and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use. Your ketchup is ready to spread on your burger buns or dip your fries, onion rings, or other foods you enjoy eating with ketchup!

Notes: best if used within 3 weeks but can be frozen for future use.

No sugar added ketchup in crockpot after cooking.jpg

No sugar added ketchup on buns.jpg

20240226_232218.jpg

Last edited:
What is tinned tomato sauce? Passata?

I'm well aware of how much sugar is in tomato ketchup so here's a little story about an Alpha mummy having to win at parenting to everyone's detriment.

The school won many accolades for its excellent cooking and well executed, balanced menus. The head chef (yes a bona fide quality head chef) viewed Friday as treat day as did everyone in the school so every Friday the school dinner lunch menu had fish and chips as one of it's choices (along with fish fingers because the toddlers preferred them) and a chocolate sponge with a choice of pink or green (mint) custard. Yum yum.

One alpha mummy on a mission to attract as much attention to herself as possible and prove her worth decided this was not a healthy choice and wanted it removed.
Well that wasn't going to happen, no-one wanted treat day to disappear, the rest of the week was already plenty healthy enough!

So determined to win, Little Miss Busy Body (are you getting a flavour of my not loving her yet? 😂 ) did a half baked online nutrition course and set herself up as a nutritionist. When I talked to her I realised her knowledge was poor, extremely superficial.
Un-happy with her failure to change Fridays menu she set her sights on tomato ketchup. She campaigned so well that essentially if you disagreed you were a bad mummy trying to give your kid weight problems and diabetes.

Well no other mummy or teaching association was going to side against that were they?!
So tomato ketchup was banned from the school menu.
The teenagers revolted and backed by the refectory staff (and secretly the teachers) got ketchup reinstated but only for the upper school.
The younger years nope, anyone under 11 years in juniors, no ketchup with anything.

What did she bring to every cake sale the school had? Haribo! What did her son frequently bring into school and buy every Friday from the tuck shop? Chewy Sweets and can of full sugar Coca Cola!

Your ketchup JAS_OH1 is a glorious colour by the way and I like the choice of stevia. It's the only artificial sweetener that I don't mind!

Last edited:
kudos on the DIY ketchup!

there are sugar free options, in two classes -
no sugar
non-sugar sweeteners

a gander here might help
5 Best Sugar-Free Ketchups Of 2023 - Foods Guy
The kind I had bought for my nephew's wife was the G Hughes. I prefer stevia to other non-sugar sweeteners (which is what I used in my recipe). I have used monk fruit in the past and it's really good, but it still has sugar in it, just not as much as others. I have heard Primal Kitchen is really good, I didn't see that on the list though.

Oh warning: xylitol and similar often can cause gastric disturbances where someone may need to stay close to a toilet for several hours. Just sayin'. I had bought my elderly diabetic aunt a basket for her 90th birthday and filled it with Russell Stover sugar free candies that were made with xylitol. She and two of my cousins ate several of them and had some uncomfortable reactions the following day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom