North American Wild Rice

I need to use wild rice more and I'm just trying to figure out what to put with venison a new entree for the fall and I might use wild rice. Manoomin is what the Ojibwe people use to call it. A good friend and chef is Ojibwe and she uses it quite frequently. I find it quite earthy and smoky so it needs to be managed otherwise it can be dominant.

I need to use wild rice more and I'm just trying to figure out what to put with venison a new entree for the fall and I might use wild rice. Manoomin is what the Ojibwe people use to call it. A good friend and chef is Ojibwe and she uses it quite frequently. I find it quite earthy and smoky so it needs to be managed otherwise it can be dominant.

I can see wild rice working with wild game meats. I'm thinking (with no actual experience) that it would need a good amount of butter, or bacon, or other fat.

CD

I can see wild rice working with wild game meats. I'm thinking (with no actual experience) that it would need a good amount of butter, or bacon, or other fat.

CD
Definitely needs something. Maple syrup is traditional and makes sense. It's excellent in a broth situation which I've done and great with braises. Duck fat which I have pails of is probably the best fat combination. I just roasted off some kind of heirloom grey weird shaped pumpkin yesterday, forget the name, Ed Taylor a local farmer dropped a few off for me to try and I really like the flavor so they'll be in the venison dish along with burnt onion cups and blue cheese in the pumpkin and the pumpkin in the burnt onion cups.....lol, that's as far as I've gotten so far.

Definitely needs something. Maple syrup is traditional and makes sense. It's excellent in a broth situation which I've done and great with braises. Duck fat which I have pails of is probably the best fat combination. I just roasted off some kind of heirloom grey weird shaped pumpkin yesterday, forget the name, Ed Taylor a local farmer dropped a few off for me to try and I really like the flavor so they'll be in the venison dish along with burnt onion cups and blue cheese in the pumpkin and the pumpkin in the burnt onion cups.....lol, that's as far as I've gotten so far.

Ooooo, the thought of maple syrup on wild rice appeals to me. :okay:

CD

Yeah. I've never tried it but I can see how it would work especially with the addition of seasonal or dried fruit and nuts. A new local farming operation that deals in heirloom varieties just dropped of some young ginger, stems and leaves attached. So tender and delicious and will combine that with local plums for something somewhere on the menu. Harvest time in Ontario is sensory overload time.

Hey...I happen to have some:

Wild meats like venison are perfect for wild rice. Afterall, if you were a native American living in a time before the 1800s, what else would you be eating with your wild rice? The two go together well as would certainly, fresh water fish.

Wild meats like venison are perfect for wild rice. Afterall, if you were a native American living in a time before the 1800s, what else would you be eating with your wild rice? The two go together well as would certainly, fresh water fish.
Traditionally it was maple syrup, but yep venison, squirrel, porcupine etc for sure.

I nearly always use it in a blend with Cornish game hens. It also goes in a soup we make with leftover smoked turkey. I like the soup with the leftover turkey better than the freshly smoked turkey.

I wonder if wild rice is available worldwide. :scratchhead:

If not, we should point out that wild rice is not actually rice. It is a seed that looks like rice. It has a very earthy taste and texture.

CD

I wonder if wild rice is available worldwide. :scratchhead:

If not, we should point out that wild rice is not actually rice. It is a seed that looks like rice. It has a very earthy taste and texture.

CD

Several types available here. Its often sold mixed with white rice. There are types that look like the North American wild rice. There is also a red wild rice from the Camargue.

IMG_3533A.jpg

Wild rice is stocked in most supermarkets here.

I don't like wild rice as a side dish on it's own and prefer it mixed in some sort of rice dish like paella, risotto, pilaf or in dishes like savory strudel, stews, gratins and salads.

When I thought about something game like, that could be called canadian, cassoulet castelnaudary popped up to my mind. It's a french classic and venison, wild rice and maple syrup combined with white beans and tomato sauce sounds good to me, you could even add some lingon berries on top.

Back
Top Bottom