Okay Then! Potato Varieties

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:40 PM
Question!
With over 200 commercially varieties of potato/spud/tattie/tatas available.
How many can you name?

Its not a competition, so by looking them up you'd only be cheating yourself, no-one else. I've a list of of around 300 varieties available.

So sit back, and in your spare time write down the names of those you do know, "of the top of your head" & possibly share your answers on here.

To be honest, I don't bother with names. I buy all my spuds in a supermarket and buy them according to what they are good for, baking, boiling, roasting, etc. I suppose thats the problem with buying from supermarkets nowaday and not from the vegetable shop. The only one offhand I can name is maris piper. I'm a bad person.

I guess I can name quite a few tbh. I used to grow them and was always careful about ensuring that I had a good range of first earlies, 2nd earlies, salads, main crop and late mains... I also found that I had some firm favourites and others that I wasn't so keen on. I'll start a list and post it up later of the ones I know still off the top of my head. It could be quite interesting, but I reckon it should be around the 30-40 mark without having to put too much thought into it!

Around here every thing is an English Potato. Caribbean Girl, you can correct me if I am wrong. Some are what some might call 'normal' potatoes, others are big or small red potatoes. I honestly can't contribute here from the top of my head. Sorry.:cry:

I'll be honest and say I was expecting boiled, mashed, fried and roast to be among an early answer.

OK... This is off the top of my head. At least half of the varieties if not more, I have grown which is how I know them (and why the list has no new varieties on them - I prefer heritage varieties and I have just realised I am some missing off it... :whistling:
  1. Accent
  2. Accord
  3. Anya
  4. Arran Pilot
  5. Arran Victory
  6. Blue Kestrel
  7. Cara
  8. Charlotte
  9. Desiree
  10. Duke of York
  11. Edzell Blue
  12. Estima
  13. Golden Wonder
  14. Harlequin
  15. International Kidney
  16. Kerrs Pink
  17. Kestrel
  18. King Edward
  19. Maris Bard
  20. Maris Piper
  21. Mayan Gold
  22. Melody
  23. Nicola
  24. Orla
  25. Pentland Javelin
  26. picasso
  27. Pink Fir Apple
  28. Red Duke of York
  29. Rocket
  30. rooster
  31. Russets (? Which ones though?)
  32. Salad Blue
  33. Sante
  34. Sharpes Express
  35. Shetland Black
  36. Superior
  37. Yukon Gold

I see a lot of varieties of potatoes but can anyone name recipes from the top of their head? LOL. I'll start: potato salad, potato fries, baked potato, mashed potato, hash browns etc. Let's play! :)

I never realized that there were so many different varieties of potatoes. I have seen several different ones at the market but never really thought of what they were called. I tjink I may recognize about five of the names on the list.

Recipes with potatoes: fish cakes, potato pancakes, potato croquettes

Oh gosh...I could name five, if I was lucky I think. I usually buy sweet potatoes over the usual white potato varieties - just a taste preference thing for me, I guess - and I'm sure I read somewhere once they were better for me but I don't have any scientific basis for that or a source! It's probably just one of those urban legends, haha!

OK... This is off the top of my head. At least half of the varieties if not more, I have grown which is how I know them (and why the list has no new varieties on them - I prefer heritage varieties and I have just realised I am some missing off it... :whistling:
  1. Accent
  2. Accord
  3. Anya
  4. Arran Pilot
  5. Arran Victory
  6. Blue Kestrel
  7. Cara
  8. Charlotte
  9. Desiree
  10. Duke of York
  11. Edzell Blue
  12. Estima
  13. Golden Wonder
  14. Harlequin
  15. International Kidney
  16. Kerrs Pink
  17. Kestrel
  18. King Edward
  19. Maris Bard
  20. Maris Piper
  21. Mayan Gold
  22. Melody
  23. Nicola
  24. Orla
  25. Pentland Javelin
  26. picasso
  27. Pink Fir Apple
  28. Red Duke of York
  29. Rocket
  30. rooster
  31. Russets (? Which ones though?)
  32. Salad Blue
  33. Sante
  34. Sharpes Express
  35. Shetland Black
  36. Superior
  37. Yukon Gold
I'm VERY impressed.

Oh gosh...I could name five, if I was lucky I think. I usually buy sweet potatoes over the usual white potato varieties - just a taste preference thing for me, I guess - and I'm sure I read somewhere once they were better for me but I don't have any scientific basis for that or a source! It's probably just one of those urban legends, haha!

Sweet potato isn't a true potato, its a member of the convolvulus family.
The sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is a dicotyledonous plant that belongs to the family Convolvulaceae.

A potato (like an eggplant/aubergine), is a member of the Solanum family.

So you see, I (Morning Glory) am related to the sweet potato, as the Ipomoea (AKA Morning Glory) is a member of the Convolvulus family too. Here is a picture of a sweet potato flower. I'm sure you can see the resemblance!

Ipomoea_batatas_(Sweet_Potato)_Flower.jpg

Back
Top Bottom