Old Cooking Utensils You still Use

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
6:57 PM
Wifie still uses an old Krupp Austrung Werks hand mixer.
20 to 1 open gear ratio, burled red oak and nickel handle and crank.
You can still jump start a Buick with it.

I love it.

Do you still use any old kitchen tools?

I love it.

Would love to see photos of this and any other old kitchen tools members use.

I have some old serving utensils and cruet set, but in the kitchen I think the oldest thing I have is a single skewer mum gave me when I left home25 years ago. How it's not got lost I've no idea.

The oldest thing I have is probably my granddad's bottle opener. Other than that, my saucepans, which I've had close to 30 years, but I bought them new.

Wait a minute...I do have my in-law's electric knife from sometime in the early '60's, I'll have to add a picture of that, and some nothing-special cookie cutters, and a biscuit cutter and doughnut cutter that was my grandmother's.

I also have some decorative plates that were hers, up on the wall in my pub, and then my wife has some very nice glassware that was handed down to her that we occasionally use.

I'll have to poke around the kitchen and take some photos later.

Until I moved out to Australia, I used to have one of the old Kenwood Chefs with a white glass bowl. It was so reliable. Just kept going and going. We'd had it since 1994 when we dropped on it being sold for £25. It was complete, right down to the original handbook. Sadly the last time it fell off the counter it stopped working so we picked up a second hand one from a lady in Liverpool (or was it Elsemere Port?) just before everything was shipped out. This one has 2 bowls, a metal one and a white plastic one, but we've just replaced it with a Magimix Patisserie.

I'll get pics up later this week, but I do have a good selection of old stuff, given to me by my parents. A double-whirly mixer, the old cookie cutters, the citrus squeezer, the ancient colander, old and fancy metal shish kebab skewers, the fondue set. One remaining old-style Corningware casserole dish. (I fear I broke some along the way.)

Oh, the horrid-looking old teal melamine dish set - which I use to take camping. This is melamine so old you can't put it in a microwave (as I discovered), and dates from the 60s. I've ditched some along the way, but there is enough for camping. Where I don't care if it all comes home after, or not.

Mountain Cat's post made me realise that I also have a whole load of old glass oven casserole bowls with lids, glass souffle bowls and the likes. Several were handed down to me after my Grannie died. A few before then, but most after my Grandfather passed. They are all original Pyrex from the 1950's. I also have 2 griddles, one round with an indestructible plastic handle (again probably from the '50's) and one that was made for mamgu (Welsh for 'my great Grandmother' and pronounced mam-gee). It is a lump of cast iron pounded into a rectangle with a crude cast iron handle melted on to it. Its old, heavy and rarely used tbh. I prefer the round griddle though even thay has a knack to using it.

When I get chance, perhaps over the weekend, I'll try to photograph some of the pyrex casserole bowls.

I have a Griswold Cast Iron pan from the 1930s. I only use it for a few things, like pan fried chicken, or cornbread.

Pan fried chicken is messy in the kitchen -- but worth it. Here is some chicken in the Griswold.

Chiken01.jpg

CD

I have a Griswold Cast Iron pan from the 1930s. I only use it for a few things, like pan fried chicken, or cornbread.

Pan fried chicken is messy in the kitchen -- but worth it. Here is some chicken in the Griswold.

View attachment 35607

CD

That Griswold cast Iron is timeless - I'd use it in food photos.

I love it.

I'd love to see a video clip of that. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom