Recipe Old Fashioned Southern Bread Pudding

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:47 PM
A friend sent this to me. I'm not from the south but all my grandparents were so some dishes traveled to the Midwest. Have you ever had or made bread pudding? Please share! I'd love to hear how it has been translated throughout the world!

Recipe: Old Fashioned Southern Bread Pudding
©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish©
Prep time: 15 min |Cook time: 1 hour | Yield: About 6 servings

Ingredients
1/2 pound loaf of French bread, or about 4 to 5 cups leftover stale biscuits or bread
1 cup of whole milk
1 cup of half and half
2 eggs
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup of golden raisins, optional
1 (15 ounce) can of fruit cocktail, drained
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
Whiskey Sauce (click here for recipe)
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together the milk and half and half. Tear the bread into small pieces and put into a large container for soaking. Pour the milk mixture all over the top. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Stir.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until well blended. Pulse the fruit in a food processor or blender to break it up, but don't puree it. Add the raisins and fruit cocktail to the egg mixture, pour over the bread and gently mix. Put the melted butter into the bottom of a 9 x 9 inch baking dish and coat the dish all along the sides and bottom. Spoon the bread pudding mixture into the dish.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until bubbly on the sides, golden brown and set in the middle. Let cool for about 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Drizzle each serving with whiskey sauce. Doubles great.

Cook's Notes: Some people scoff at the use of fruit cocktail in my recipe, but I say don't knock it till you've tried it. If you are really against it, use this recipe, omit the fruit cocktail and increase the eggs to 3, the butter to a half stick (1/4 cup), and the milk and half and half to 1-1/2 cups of each. That should do it.

May substitute a wide variety of leftover breads, rolls, buns, or a combination of them. You’ll need about 4 or 5 cups of rough cut, or cubed bread.

Bread Pudding French Toast: Prepare bread pudding as above, except using a large loaf pan. Let cool, then refrigerate overnight. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and place slices in a rimmed baking sheet or pan. Beat together 4 eggs with 1 cup milk; pour over slices and sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture. Turn slices and sprinkle other side. Let rest for 15 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet and pan fry slices in batches until browned on both sides, adding additional butter as needed per batch. Add a pat of butter and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar before serving, if desired. Offer hot syrup at the table.

Source: Deep South Dish

Yes, I make bread pudding fairly frequently. It's a good use of stale bread, and it's almost endlessly variable.

Reactions: mjd
Yes, I make bread pudding fairly frequently. It's a good use of stale bread, and it's almost endlessly variable.

I recall you saying you always have it on hand because you make croutons too. I find it interesting to read about how our ancestors survived when there was slip pickin's to be had.

The fruit cocktail sounds interesting, maybe something that I like, thank you for the recipe.
Stay healthy

I recall you saying you always have it on hand because you make croutons too. I find it interesting to read about how our ancestors survived when there was slip pickin's to be had.
I made some bread pudding tonight, used up about a 1/3rd loaf of buttermilk sandwich bread that was going stale.

It works so well because most people probably have the ingredients for a basic bread pudding on hand, and it's one of those things you can just throw whatever else you want in there.

Topped with the cognac butter that came with my Christmas hamper from Harrods. I saw it in the back of my fridge and thought, "Perfect!"

I made some bread pudding tonight, used up about a 1/3rd loaf of buttermilk sandwich bread that was going stale.

It works so well because most people probably have the ingredients for a basic bread pudding on hand, and it's one of those things you can just throw whatever else you want in there.

Topped with the cognac butter that came with my Christmas hamper from Harrods. I saw it in the back of my fridge and thought, "Perfect!"View attachment 62364
Oh my! That looks fabulous. Mail me some pronto! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom