Recipe Olive Stuffed Pastry

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:29 PM
:oops::oops::oops:
My intention was to make olive stuffed bread. I started entering the recipe while the dough was proofing. The dough would not rise. I think my yeast was old. I inadvertently posted the incomplete recipe. I had to edit the entire recipe to fit what was actually made.

Mom makes this frequently, especially for family gatherings. I forgot all about it until this week.
A few notes:
1) Mom uses frozen rise and bake bread dough. Did not have any so I used a simple bread recipe.
2) Mom uses Boscoli Olive Salad, the original recipe. I had a little of the Boscoli Jalapeno Olive Salad. Not enough so I recorded the modifications.
You do not need to use the olive salad. Chopped green or black olives would be fine. I like the salad mix because it is packed in oil.

INGREDIENTS

Pepperidge Farm frozen Puff Pastry (2 sheets)
1 egg beaten for brushing

Filling
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
11/2 cups olive mix or chopped olives
I did not have enough olive mix so I added 1 1/2 TBSP chopped sun dried tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives and 1/4 cup chopped martini olives with pimento
8 to 10 cloves garlic minced
Mix the olive mix, sun dried tomatoes, and chopped olives with garlic.

METHOD

Heat oven to 400 degrees F
If using a pizza stone put it in the oven. If using a sheet pan spray with cooking spray.
Defrost the folded dough sheets on a floured surface. The defrosted sheets should be cold but pliable. Unfold. Spread 1/2 of the olive, garlic mix on each sheet leaving 1" on each side. Top each with 1/2 of the shredded cheddar.
Gently roll each sheet into a log. Dampen the ends with water and press to seal.
Score the tops and brush with egg wash.
Transfer to the stone or pan. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden.
Allow to cool. Slice.

I wish you could smell this!!
Will post more pictures after it is sliced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom