Oranges or tangerines?

Well, I have two new words to add to my vocab. What about you Caribbean girl? It's the first time I am seeing any of these words in relation to oranges and tangerines. This forum keeps reminding me I am not as knowledgeable as I thought. Anyway, I have found tangerines more consistent on taste. I've had some oranges that could be mistaken for limes so I am going with tangerines.

I have never heard of kumquat or satsuma either. Glad I am not the only one. So, I have learnt something new. Tangerines may be more consistent on taste, but when you get an acid tangerine, it is really acid. The sweet ones are usually very sweet. I have found them to spoil quicker than oranges too.

We purchase a lot of clementines because their are easy to peel for the kids. I like them both.

I have never heard of kumquat or satsuma either. Glad I am not the only one. So, I have learnt something new. Tangerines may be more consistent on taste, but when you get an acid tangerine, it is really acid. The sweet ones are usually very sweet. I have found them to spoil quicker than oranges too.
Or those ones that have no juice in them at all. I've had a few of them in the past. Did you know about the Clementine name Caribbean girl? I might have heard that name used but I am not sure it is in relation to tangerines. I'll have to ask my mom the food historian without official certification.

Did you know about the Clementine name Caribbean girl?

No, I did not know about the Clementine name. I am learning a lot of new stuff since being on this forum. I don't think I have ever heard it mentioned either. I do know that we used to call tangerines by the name of mandarins at one time. Do you remember this? Or maybe they are still called by this name. I think they are the same fruit though.

No, I did not know about the Clementine name. I am learning a lot of new stuff since being on this forum. I don't think I have ever heard it mentioned either. I do know that we used to call tangerines by the name of mandarins at one time. Do you remember this? Or maybe they are still called by this name. I think they are the same fruit though.
I am going to have to make this a matter of research. I always remember mandarins being green even when ready to be eaten.

Green? I'm now curious. They are very orange when we get them!

I've been searching to find some green mandarins and came up with everything but said green mandarins. I have very very very clear memories of eating green mandarins and I don't think it was a matter of them not being ripe. Now I am going to have this a personal mission of mine to find one it they still exist. Help Caribbean girl!!

I've been searching to find some green mandarins and came up with everything but said green mandarins. I have very very very clear memories of eating green mandarins and I don't think it was a matter of them not being ripe. Now I am going to have this a personal mission of mine to find one it they still exist. Help Caribbean girl!!
Found quite a few pictures of green tangerines. But also green mandarin and green satsuma. Most of them relate to Japan or China. Some of the pictures look the same! This is a green tangerine:

green tangerine.jpg

You should see me asking people if they know where I can find a green mandarin. I spoke at length with a customer on the subject. It's something I had a lot of as child, but this fruit seems quite vast and a little complicated. With those mandarins we never cut them. Easy to peel and easy to eat but when you got it bitter one it was very bitter.

Tangerines!!!! I am actually kind of addicted to them! I could eat like a hundred of them at once! :D

I like eating sweeter fruits more than those which are sour or bitter. I suppose tangerines are much more sweet than oranges. I buy those small tangerines in the supermarket which are a radiant orange and sold in small net packs. Oranges are great for juices and shakes because of it's high water content and tanginess I believe. Salt and sugar really go well.

Back
Top Bottom