Outdoor pizza ovens

Any tips on using a Ooni outdoor pizza oven
Also, head over to pizzamaking.com - you’ll find a lot of (overwhelmingly positive) reviews for it.

There are two reasons I don’t have one: the size of the opening and the deck limits a single pie to the 12-to-14-in range (and it can be a bit tricky to maneuver at that size) and I’m interested in 16-to-18-in pies, and any high-temp pizza oven really shows its worth in a setting where you need to crank out multiple pies in quick succession - I just don’t have that need here, where I might make one pizza a month, let alone multiple pizzas in a party setting.

Indeed I do.....we have the Koda 12 and we love it. Although the pizzas aren't quite up to professional standards they've way above anything we've ever achieved in a domestic oven.

Happy to answer any questions :)
Right now I’m doing test runs trying to learn how to get and maintain the proper temperature. My daughter bought one for her husband for Christmas. She said they burned a lot of pizzas before they figured it all out. Unfortunately they live 8 hours away from here.

I used to have a wood fired, air pumped, brick built pizza oven at my last tenancy.

The temperature control was interesting. A case of the positioning of the wood over it around the air vents for the air pump. It had 3 speeds not including off...

We used to have great fun with it and would throw pizza parties for hubby's work colleagues but the only way of doing it was too get everyone to pair up and split a pizza. It could do large pizzas but the problem was it was only 1 pizza at a time but they came out perfect once we'd learnt it. The split a pizza thing came about so that with say 10 people, prep and cooking the pizza, getting the temp back up etc, would take 10 minutes minimum per pizza. So 10 people would take almost 2 hours to get everyone a pizza... split a pizza and at least you had something every hour ...

Right now I’m doing test runs trying to learn how to get and maintain the proper temperature. My daughter bought one for her husband for Christmas. She said they burned a lot of pizzas before they figured it all out. Unfortunately they live 8 hours away from here.
Its all about practice :okay: Which oven do you have?
I have the Koda 12 - its quite snug inside so easy to burn the back of the pizza if you're not careful (so I still burn the odd one now and again)...I'd love the bigger version but its pretty huge and not so portable.

My usual way of cooking a pizza is to preheat the stone for at least 30 mins and then turn off the gas totally just before launching the pizza. After about 15 seconds, when I'm ready for the first turn I switch the gas back and continue cooking the pizza (sometimes its on low, sometimes on high). When I take the pizza out I turn the gas back up high to get the stone back to temperature for the next one.

Its all about practice :okay: Which oven do you have?
I have the Koda 12 - its quite snug inside so easy to burn the back of the pizza if you're not careful (so I still burn the odd one now and again)...I'd love the bigger version but its pretty huge and not so portable.

My usual way of cooking a pizza is to preheat the stone for at least 30 mins and then turn off the gas totally just before launching the pizza. After about 15 seconds, when I'm ready for the first turn I switch the gas back and continue cooking the pizza (sometimes its on low, sometimes on high). When I take the pizza out I turn the gas back up high to get the stone back to temperature for the next one.

Other suggestions? No gas heat here. Charcoal grill, induction cooktop, and can switch from convection to regular electric oven cooking in the kitchen.

I got the regular oven, plus THIS if the weather is too hot outside. Plus a pizza stone, Which I'd heat up to a super-hot temperature before I put the pizza in to cook.

I have an Oooni. I'm having trouble getting the dough/crust the way I think it should be..It's been close a few times, but never perfect..I have been making a poolish, which is a starter, then the dough the next day....Next time I may try more traditional dough recipe and keep the heat down to about 650 to make a more North American style pizza...

I have an Oooni. I'm having trouble getting the dough/crust the way I think it should be..It's been close a few times, but never perfect..I have been making a poolish, which is a starter, then the dough the next day....Next time I may try more traditional dough recipe and keep the heat down to about 650 to make a more North American style pizza...
TastyReuben makes the best dough

Russ

Back
Top Bottom