Recipe Oven Roasted/broiled pork Char Siu

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:07 PM
The original recipe is from butteryourbiscuit.com. I've made a few changes, mostly technique, to make things easier. Make sure you use the red food coloring though as it does add something, just like in red velvet cake, even though she says it doesn't.

Going to look for a picture of the whole roast, not sure if I have one.

I serve this as roast pork with rice or glass or rice noodles, some kind of green Asian vegetable, and also use it for bao sandwiches and bao baked or steamed dim sum, have even used slices in a ramen bowl. It freezes well so make a bunch, plastic wrap in portion sizes, bag in a large plastic bag, and freeze so you can pull out however much you want.

20220626_195552-jpg.jpg

2021-01-09-18-02-11-jpg.jpg

Dough recipe links at bottom.

Ingredients

3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or butt
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
4 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
4 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp red food coloring, make sure you use this, it does add something
2 tsp cornstarch

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, except pork, in a small bowl. Set aside.

Cut pork horizontally into 3 long flat pieces. Place in a plastic bag, add 1/2 of the marinade, close and seal bag, then refrigerate for 24-48 hours (I try to do the full 48 hours). Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with a double layer of foil (VERY important) and make a rack with crumpled foil by taking a long piece, folding in half lengthwise, then again, then crumpling, than make a zig-zag shape long and wide enough for roast pieces to lay on. It usually takes 2 or even 3 long pieces of foil for me. Trust me on using the foil. You will NOT want to clean up the mess. Being able to gather it all up and throw away the mess will make you very happy once you see how messy it gets.

Remove the pork from the marinade and place on the rack. Bake 25 minutes, flip pork and bake another 25 minutes.

While the pork is cooking after the flip, pour the reserved marinade into a sauce pan and whisk in the cornstarch. Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring very frequently, for about 10 minutes to thicken.

Remove pork from oven and turn the oven to broil. Brush the pork with some of the thickened marinade and broil 5-6 minutes or until slightly charred. Turn pork over and repeat. Pork temperature should be about 145 to 155 degrees F.

Garnish with sliced green onions if desired. Serve remaining marinade/sauce on the side.

Recipe - Bao dough (steamed and baked)

For the sandwiches, I use this recipe: Recipe - Chinese pork belly buns

Last edited:
Thank you so much medtran49 I've pinned to my CMT account to add to my Asian-Inspired arsenal.
And yes please for the recipe for the bun.
I just made a batch of Char Siu and divvied it up for the deep freeze.
I told DH the other day that soon I'll be trying me hand at Manapua and he's all excited... we haven't had any since we were back home in 2019.

I love this char siu. I once used Pork Cheeks which I actually found too too rich.

I cheat. I buy frozen buns. haha

charsui copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom