Recipe Pan fried squid with lemons & pangranetto

HairyHeaven

Local time
12:44 AM
I made this tonight as part of the "First & Last" challenge. I have put down the original recipe & made a note of my adjustments

Calamari in padilla con limone e pangranetto
Serves 4 as starter or 2 as main
IMG20200119204645.jpg

Ingredients
Olive oil
1 or 2 fresh red chillies, pricked
(I used one large fat chilli, deseeded & diced)
6 cloves of garlic lightly crushed
2 large handfuls of stale breadcrumbs
4 baby squid, trimmed & cleaned **
Half lemon thinly sliced
Handful of parsley leaves (roughly chopped)

Method
Heat 6 tablespoons of oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add chillies, garlic & breadcrumbs & stir until crisp & golden. Season & drain on kitchen paper

Wipe pan & put on high heat. Add a good splash of oil, season squid & cook in pan with lemon slices. Fry until golden, turn over & cook for same amount of time on the other side **

Divide squid & lemon between plates, scatter with pangranetto & parsley. Serve with lightly dressed rocket & cold white wine ( I had Sauvignon blanc)

** Recipe says to clean & trim squid & leave wings on & cook whole. I took the wings off & halved the squid & scored them. The wings & tentacles took about 3-4 mins to cook, the scored tubes about 2 mins. I also only used two squid for a single meal & will use the extra pangranetto on salad during the week

I love squid and this sounds to be a delightful recipe. :okay: It makes a pretty plate too.

I'd not come across the word pangranetto before so looked it up - nil results as a food! But I did get results for 'pangrattato'. So either Jamie O got the spelling wrong or its a typo...

Last edited:
I made this tonight as part of the "First & Last" challenge. I have put down the original recipe & made a note of my adjustments

Calamari in padilla con limone e pangranetto
Serves 4 as starter or 2 as main
View attachment 36851
Ingredients
Olive oil
1 or 2 fresh red chillies, pricked
(I used one large fat chilli, deseeded & diced)
6 cloves of garlic lightly crushed
2 large handfuls of stale breadcrumbs
4 baby squid, trimmed & cleaned **
Half lemon thinly sliced
Handful of parsley leaves (roughly chopped)

Method
Heat 6 tablespoons of oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add chillies, garlic & breadcrumbs & stir until crisp & golden. Season & drain on kitchen paper

Wipe pan & put on high heat. Add a good splash of oil, season squid & cook in pan with lemon slices. Fry until golden, turn over & cook for same amount of time on the other side **

Divide squid & lemon between plates, scatter with pangranetto & parsley. Serve with lightly dressed rocket & cold white wine ( I had Sauvignon blanc)

** Recipe says to clean & trim squid & leave wings on & cook whole. I took the wings off & halved the squid & scored them. The wings & tentacles took about 3-4 mins to cook, the scored tubes about 2 mins. I also only used two squid for a single meal & will use the extra pangranetto on salad during the week

Looks pretty good to me. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom