Ingredients
1 cup hulled and chopped strawberries
1 cup whole blueberries
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 TB fresh mint, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 tsp honey
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 16oz total)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Combine the berries, 1 tsp salt, onion, vinegar, mint, and honey in a medium size mixing bowl, and toss to combine. Taste, and add more honey/salt/balsamic/mint to suit your personal taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Pat the chicken breasts dry and season with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
Add the olive oil to the cast iron skillet, and put the chicken and sear for 8-10 minutes until golden. Flip, and cook another 5-8 minutes until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and rest for 5 minutes.

Recipe adapted from tasteslovely.com

My first thought when I saw this was that people might be really surprised if they saw a jar of the salsa, thinking it’s a fruit cocktail. You will want to start recording your future YouTube video of their reactions secretly, then prepare to run.

My next thought was: what a cool, genre-bending idea! As you say, it could be used as a dessert topping (see above for video recording tips), but it also works as a salsa. I would want to slide a few hot pepper slices in there, too, but I do that with just about all my recipes anyway.

And, it looks like it really compliments the blank slate that chicken breast’s are.

Back
Top Bottom