Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:52 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So, next Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday or pancake day for those who don't follow a lent but do still like to have pancakes...

Do you have any plans?

We'll be having pancakes, British style, with lemons and sugar.

This is our family recipe, Recipe - Pancakes

We may celebrate Valentines Day (the following day) with pikelets which are much closer to American pancakes.
Recipe - Pikelets or Drop Scones

No pancakes over here. Catholic country and traditions, so we celebrate Carnival. Monday and Tuesday are holidays. Most people zoom off to the beach!

Yep, I’ll likely make something more akin to crepes, and serve them with jam, Nutella, and fresh fruit.

British pancakes with lemon and sugar in this house. My mum would also but a tin of Tate and Lyle syrup in the oven to heat to volcanic levels. I think the picture on the front of the Tate and Lyle syrup tin is some sort religious story which is why we were offered it?
My parents weren’t religious it was just tradition.

We don't bother, it is a working day so we want to have a proper meal when we get home, plus, not really all that fussed to be honest.

British pancakes with lemon and sugar in this house. My mum would also but a tin of Tate and Lyle syrup in the oven to heat to volcanic levels. I think the picture on the front of the Tate and Lyle syrup tin is some sort religious story which is why we were offered it?
My parents weren’t religious it was just tradition.

It was also a bit of a tradition in our house too, with lemon and sugar.

TastyReuben: is Pączki Day unique to Michigan and Illinois? Long ago, members of the Polish community began making these incredibly rich, jelly filled donuts. That’s quite an accomplishment, making a doughnut even more rich than it already is. They are delicious, but they will put you into a food coma. Totally worth it.

Pączki Day 2024: Where you get can pączki in metro Detroit.

I have some fresh blueberries so I will probably make some blueberry pancakes soon. I am not Catholic and don't observe Pancake Day, I just like pancakes. I am not fond of maple syrup by itself, but I mix it with honey and butter and it's delicious that way.

I make pancakes with a batter that included quick oats, flour, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and mashed banana pretty regularly. I serve them (see below) with a slather of Kerry Gold, then top with fresh strawberries if I have them and always with a slight drizzle of maple syrup/honey. Unfortunately with it being winter, the strawberries aren't as red as I like but I can't find them. These were fragrant and tasty all the same!

1707591831710.jpeg
1707591746099.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom