Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday

Excellent set up, and lovely looking lemons! Did the bread flour effect the pancakes?
I had 150g of mixed plain and self raising flour from the bottom of the 2 jars and hubby was instructed to come home with a 1kg bag of self raising flour to add to the batter, so I didn't need to try it.
He was coming home via the supermarket anyhow because he needed some supplies for work, so I added flour and fresh fruit to his list.

I had 150g of mixed plain and self raising flour from the bottom of the 2 jars and hubby was instructed to come home with a 1kg bag of self raising flour to add to the batter, so I didn't need to try it.
He was coming home via the supermarket anyhow because he needed some supplies for work, so I added flour and fresh fruit to his list.
Oh how a love a quick addition to a supermarket stop (that I’m not making) that means I get to cook something I have all of the ingredients for bar one. It’s like a missing jigsaw piece turning up 😂

Oh how a love a quick addition to a supermarket stop (that I’m not making) that means I get to cook something I have all of the ingredients for bar one. It’s like a missing jigsaw piece turning up 😂
When he did the shopping at the weekend, I had him check that we had flour for the pancakes. Obviously he did check, but didn't pick the packets up. We routinely see the slug trails on the waterproof mat and the ceiling of the mud room, so know they are an issue. Everything has to be in jars or plastic (stackable Lakeland) containers for that reason. These weren't.

Usually I'd object to him whittling away at money with a mid week shop, but this is the first time in over 2 weeks I've actually wanted to eat rather than forced myself to, so he happily went there and picked up fresh fruit as well. He also came home with a bunch of red roses!

I made wholegrain banana Kaiserschmarren ( pancake stir fry from Austria) for today. Served with syrup. Kaiserschmarrn - Wikipedia
20240213_163547.jpg

When he did the shopping at the weekend, I had him check that we had flour for the pancakes. Obviously he did check, but didn't pick the packets up. We routinely see the slug trails on the waterproof mat and the ceiling of the mud room, so know they are an issue. Everything has to be in jars or plastic (stackable Lakeland) containers for that reason. These weren't.

Usually I'd object to him whittling away at money with a mid week shop, but this is the first time in over 2 weeks I've actually wanted to eat rather than forced myself to, so he happily went there and picked up fresh fruit as well. He also came home with a bunch of red roses!
I find Mr SSOAPs midweek supermarket snack stops are hard on the wallet!

Great you fancy eating again and flowers as well, your stars must be in alignment, quick buy a lottery ticket 😂

I didn’t get a pic of the stack, but here are the fillings:

IMG_7553.jpeg

One for each of us of cinnamon-sugar, tangerine jam, and banana-Nutella (clone).

I’m a little irritated I didn’t get a shot of the finished product, because they were probably the best-looking ones I’ve made, and I’ve made some spectacularly bad ones. I just about have my wrist motion down for twisting the skillet once the batter is poured in.

Interesting. Malassadas and Pao Doce sound Portuguese to me. How did they make there way to Hawaii?
Yes, they are Portuguese Donuts.
The story I have been told is that back in the day (1800's) plantation owners wanted light skinned people as supervisors, not dark skinned folks. So some "Luna" - boss - went over to the Azores and recruited men to come to Hawaii to work the Plantations and promised to take care of their families as well (that's what happened to my great-grand parents). Again, this is the story that I was told. I am of Portuguese heritage, as well as a bunch of other "local" backgrounds aka Hawaiian, Swedish (they were mostly Whalers), English (the missionaries) and then throw in Scots, Irish and Danish from Mom.
As we say in Hawaii, I'm a "Poi Dog" - mixed breed :D:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom