Recipe Paneer in almond massala (curry)

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
12:18 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
Considering the discussion I recently had on this board about whether or not almond or cashew flour belongs in Indian food, I decided to make this Northern Indian dish for the recipe challenge. It's rich, creamy, decadent and vegetarian.

Ingredients for 4 people:
250 g fresh paneer
250 g sweet tomatoes, diced
2 medium onions
100 g butter
100 ml cream
70 g tomato paste
50 g almond meal
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 fresh green chilli, in rings
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Handful chopped fresh cilantro
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tsp coconut oil
A blender

1) Peel and chop the onions into fine strips. Add the coconut oil to a whatever pan you use for curries on a low heat. Add the onions and patiently stir them frequently until they are soft and golden. Then add the ginger, chilli and garlic and all the spices, and stir until ginger and garlic are softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3) Then add the butter and when its melted add the tomatoes, almond meal and the tomato paste. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
4) Add the mixture to the blender, be sure to let it cool down for 10 mins or so before you turn it on! And blend to a shiny smooth sauce. Leave in blender while you chop the paneer in large dice.
5) Add the sauce to the pan on low heat, stir in the cream. Then add the paneer max 5 minutes before serving. It needs no grilling, you want it soft.
6) Pour curry into serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with rice or nan.

The dish looks great.
Was I here when you had that discussion? Because I most certainly would have backed you up!

Yep! You certainly were here. It started here. It was originally a debate about whether 'butter chicken' contained nuts.

I don't use them in curry very often (its a personal choice as I prefer less calories) - but there is no doubt they are often used in curry - particularly korma. Also in Indian desserts/sweets.

I see that the almond meal serves as a thickener for the curry. And, it's better than just stirring in flour, since it has its own character. Clever!

Funny, but when I saw that picture, I thought it was a strange-looking cutlet...and then, I read the Paneer part of the name, and figured out it was the cheese. :laugh:

I see that the almond meal serves as a thickener for the curry. And, it's better than just stirring in flour, since it has its own character. Clever!

Funny, but when I saw that picture, I thought it was a strange-looking cutlet...and then, I read the Paneer part of the name, and figured out it was the cheese. :laugh:
You mean what is on the plate? That's nan bread 😄

I can tell you don't eat curry very often The Late Night Gourmet!

Back
Top Bottom