Recipe Pappardelle with blue cheese & sherry sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:14 PM
It doesn’t get much simpler. This recipe is super fast to make and tastes rather luxurious. You could use a medium sherry for a slightly sweeter taste. If you use fresh pasta the dish is ready in under 10 minutes. The recipe is for two but is easily halved for one person.

Ingredients (serves 2)
200g fresh pappardelle (or 150g dried)
100g soft blue cheese (I used Dolcelatte)
50 ml medium dry sherry
6 chestnut mushrooms, sliced wafer thin
Finely chopped parsley to sprinkle

Method
  1. Put the pasta on to cook in a pan of salted boiling water.
  2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, add the cheese and sherry to a non stick pan large enough to hold the drained pasta.
  3. Cook gently until the cheese melts into the sherry. Stir well and then add the mushrooms.
  4. Simmer for 5 minutes. Keep warm until the pasta is ready.
  5. Drain the pasta and mix into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley.

B116EE7A-5557-4EB7-84E0-1917487E70FA.jpeg

My rendition of your recipe. I happen to have some crispy bacon, and I crumbled it on top. The dish was really tasty without it, but I couldn’t resist.

Also, I did not have the fresh parsley that I thought I had. So, I used dry parsley. Not quite the same, I know.

As I was making it, it seemed at first that I was measuring out too much blue cheese. But, it turned out to be the perfect amount. This is an excellent, quick recipe to keep in my back pocket and use when I want something good, but I don’t feel like putting a lot of time into it.

Oh - thank you for trying the recipe. Yes I can see how crispy bacon would work very well. Did you use mushrooms? I couldn't spot them in your photo.

Yes...I actually used 6 cremini mushrooms, which are even bigger than chestnut mushrooms. I was wondering if the mushrooms would overwhelm the look, and then...I see now that they decided to hide under the folds of the pappardelle. I will post another picture that better shows the distribution.

.I see now that they decided to hide under the folds of the pappardelle. I will post another picture that better shows the distribution.

You do know that I use tweezers and such-like when plating...

Actually if I'm photographing something like this I remove a few pieces of the ingredients when cooked so I can position them for the photo. Yeah... I know.

Actually if I'm photographing something like this I remove a few pieces of the ingredients when cooked so I can position them for the photo. Yeah... I know.
These are great tips. I now realize that I may need to rinse off some mushrooms to make a pretty picture (step 3 had them mixed in with the sauce, which is absolutely the right time for the recipe, but less so for the photograph).

These are great tips. I now realize that I may need to rinse off some mushrooms to make a pretty picture (step 3 had them mixed in with the sauce, which is absolutely the right time for the recipe, but less so for the photograph).

You are getting as obsessive as me. Yes - I do sometimes rinse off a few ingredients before positioning them. :ohmy: :giggle:

41C4A029-1925-4FD7-8BD1-1928F24A6276.jpeg

Here it is again, mushroom side up. I realize an issue with the presentation is a matter of proportion. It would be a better picture if I had more pasta in the bowl. However, I don’t feel like eating that much pasta. And, I’m not entering this into any kind of competition, so I can enjoy it and its modest proportions.

Oh, and I did not rinse off the mushrooms. :okay:

Last edited:

Well, at least you go to the point of doing things that make the food inedible just to get a good photo like commercial food photographers do... right? :unsure:

CD

Well, at least you go to the point of doing things that make the food inedible just to get a good photo like commercial food photographers do... right? :unsure:

CD

Not quite guilty as charged. I only do it with a few things (items) and what I do is quite minor. In fact I didn't do much for this photo except pick out a few mushrooms so that when I plated it I could make sure some showed. It didn't affect the dish at all really.

Back
Top Bottom