If you grind up some dried porcinis, you will have a great powder that when added to mushroom sauce or gravy will give that umami kick to them.

Yeah - I have a jar of dried mushrooms (which I ground up in a spice grinder) for this sort of purpose. I sprinkle the 'dust' over eggs sometimes too.

Perfect examples of what I call "Taste and Adjust". Awesome suggestions.

Oh, I see. I just use a piece of non-stick baking paper across the bottom and up the sides with a bit overhanging each end - just like the removable inner section in the linked image. But if you have a good non-stick bread tin this may not be necessary. I find that the meat tends to shrink away from the sides as it cooks so it generally comes out quite easily.

Actually, the pan and insert has one other feature that makes a bit of a difference. The insert part raises the meatloaf about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the pan. By doing so, the meatloaf stays more moist when cooking, especially on the bottom. As a bonus, the slight rise allows the meat juices to collect which can be used to make a rich beef gravy..

I was about to say basically the same thing!

I like this idea. I've always used my bread pan for meatloaf (though I'm sure it doesn't come out of the pan as neatly as it would with the specialty pan):

View attachment 30266
Glass loaf pan..jpg

I bought 2 of THESE glass loaf pans that I use now & then for meat loaf!! :wink:

I always shape my meatloaf by hand on a rack set over a sheet pan. It's a little more rustic-looking, I guess, but all that fat renders out into the sheet pan and the loaf itself comes out a treat.

Neat technique. The "rustic" look is something I didn't think of. I will give this idea a try with my next meatloaf.

Back
Top Bottom