Paprika!

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:54 PM
I've got to pick up some smoked paprika when I'm out shopping this weekend, so I thought I'd ask everyone here about their paprika thoughts.

Around where I live, paprika is generally sold as plain/regular paprika, Hungarian/hot paprika, and Spanish/smoked paprika. I love paprika, so I have jars of all three most of the time, as will as a couple of specialty ones within the three main types.

I use regular paprika for decoration as much as anything, because it's very mild, and Hungarian in goulash (no surprises there), and smoked on just about anything.

What's your thoughts on paprika? Love it? Hate it? Don't care one way or another? How do you like to use it? How much of it do you keep on hand, and what varieties?

I like it a lot but not the smoked type. I'm a bit funny about smoked anything except bacon, salmon and kippers.

I use regular paprika for decoration as much as anything, because it's very mild

You mention Hungarian paprika. I have the bee's knees of that type and it's surprisingly hot. I think you may not have encountered the real deal if you think its very mild...

I like it a lot but not the smoked type. I'm a bit funny about smoked anything except bacon, salmon and kippers.

You mention Hungarian paprika. I have the bee's knees of that type and it's surprisingly hot. I think you may not have encountered the real deal if you think its very mild...
I'm confused...I listed Hungarian as hot, and what's sold here as regular paprika as mild. :scratchhead:

It's an interesting thing, though, because sometimes, I'll see Hungarian paprika sold as "hot," and sometimes as "sweet." I know there are sub-varieties within the main types, but I've been in a hurry in the past and picked up the wrong stuff!

I basically just use it as decoration on deviled eggs or sprinkled on potato salad. My husband's buddy from high school is of Hungarian descent and his mother makes chicken paprikash and uses a special paprika that she gets from a specialty place up in Cleveland. It's really good. I have her recipe written down in my desk drawer, one of these days I will get around to making it.

Right. Paprika is a Hungarian name for a pepper which originally came from South America. It´s also popular in the Czech Republic , but how it got to Spain with the same name, who knows?
The Hungarian pepper is a horn-shaped chile and is specific to Hungary.There are two types - mild and "hot". The "hot" is not severely hot, but you do feel a chile "spike" ; the mild is actually sweet. However, the flavour is intense.
Smoked paprika is, I believe, a Spanish version. The flavour is smoky-intense, but not even remotely spicy; however, whatever you cook with it will have a smoky taste. Great with chicken, seafood, pork, vegetable dishes like ratatouille.

I keep all three, Hungarian (hot), smoked, and regular, which some people call "sweet," but it is pretty ordinary to me.

CD

I use Pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika) in Paella and Piperade. The brand I get has a hot and a sweet version and I have both.

paprika-powder-selec-sweet-70g.jpg

Paprika is a key ingredient in Piri-Piri sauce which is a current favourite of mine for marinating chicken. I have multiple other kinds that I also use in curries like Russ.

What's your thoughts on paprika? Love it? Hate it? Don't care one way or another? How do you like to use it? How much of it do you keep on hand, and what varieties?
I love it, it's pretty essential to my cooking. I have never liked pork fat much, though I've recently come to like bacon, but because of that I've become used to paprika powder as a smokey component in tomato sauce for instance.

I use paprika powder to flavor tomato based sauces, to make my secret recipe roast potatoes, and to garnish things like potato salad. I also use it for seasoning in devilled eggs.

I use smoked hungarian paprika most often, the hot variety too. I also have a tin of Spanish paprika for things like patatas bravas and rouille.

1654501955033.png
There´s really very little difference between the chile peppers grown in Extremadura, Spain (Pimentón de la Vera) and the chile peppers grown in Hungary (paprika - the Hungarian word for "pepper"). Both belong to the Capsicum anuum genus of chiles, although the Hungarian paprika are slightly thicker and the "hot" variety, slightly spicier.
As for use, I´d probably say "To Caesar that which is Caesar´s" - in other words, if your dish is Spanish, use de la Vera: if it´s Hungarian, use paprika.

Back
Top Bottom