Parsley , cilantro and celery

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
4:21 PM
I am a bit confused. I think these three herbs : parsley, cilantro and celery are all the same in taste. Is it necessary to use them all or can we opt to use just any of them in one dish?

Coriander (what you call cilantro) and parley don't taste anything like each other and they certainly don't taste like celery which in the UK is a vegetable and often dipped in salt to get it to taste of something!

celery.jpg

Unless you are talking about celery seed? But then that tastes nothing like coriander (fresh) and parsley...

Fresh-Coriander.jpg and parsley.jpg

All three are different ,coriander soft and sweet ,celery earthy ,and parsley hardy ,when cooking a lot of foods I will wrap herbs up in muslin to enfuse the herb flavours with out the textures

All three are different ,coriander soft and sweet ,celery earthy ,and parsley hardy ,when cooking a lot of foods I will wrap herbs up in muslin to enfuse the herb flavours with out the textures
The three are entirely different. Cilantro (or coriander in the UK) has a very distinctive taste which has lemon/lime citrus notes. Some people (genetically) hate it. To them it tastes soapy. The stems give rather more flavour than the leaves. Parsley has a milder fresh flavour but can also taste slightly peppery. Celery (more especially the leaves) has an entirely different in taste and whilst having a fresh green tang contains distinctive aniseed notes.

If I want a celery under tone I use lovage from my garden , just coming to a end now

Coriander (what you call cilantro) and parley don't taste anything like each other and they certainly don't taste like celery which in the UK is a vegetable and often dipped in salt to get it to taste of something!

View attachment 1593

Unless you are talking about celery seed? But then that tastes nothing like coriander (fresh) and parsley...

View attachment 1594 and View attachment 1595

I never thought they taste the same either! In fact, my husband accidentally picked up flat leaf parsley at the store recently when he should have got cilantro...the leaves look kind of alike! But boy...the taste was different. I was making Mexican food and needed the Cilantro and as soon as I opened the bag that had the flat leaf parsley in it I was like HOLD UP...these are not the same things!

Yes, of course! Try them chopped on a salad or in a soup. They are quite pungent compared with the stalks.
I would eat the leaves of celery or use them in a dish. Of the three mentioned, parsley is what I mostly have on hand and hope to have some planted in my garden when it's been revived.

my celery rarely if ever comes with leaves, do you grow your own?
Oh gosh no! I'm talking about the sometimes rather pale yellowy green small leaves that are sometimes left on the top of the stalks. Sadly, as you say, these are often trimmed off. To my mind, they are the best bit. I haven't bought celery for a while but tomorrow I will now check our Aldi and Tesco to see if their celery has leaves!

my celery rarely if ever comes with leaves, do you grow your own?
I just went to look up celery leaves. Whilst you can use the leaves which might be attached to celery stalks, it seems that there is a variant called leaf celery. This is more leaf than stalk and is grown, as a herb, for the leaf. I hadn't ever heard of this! But apparently its easy to grow. I'm now wondering if this is what @Bakemehappy is referring to.

We don't get it here in supermarkets but I think it may be used in Asian dishes, so perhaps Asian grocers will stock it.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/02/alys-fowler-celery-made-easy

And here are the seeds: http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vege...oogle-prodex&gclid=CKif_MuWosgCFYKc2wod8Y8Ljw

I just went to look up celery leaves. Whilst you can use the leaves which might be attached to celery stalks, it seems that there is a variant called leaf celery. This is more leaf than stalk and is grown, as a herb, for the leaf. I hadn't ever heard of this! But apparently its easy to grow. I'm now wondering if this is what @Bakemehappy is referring to.

It's very popular here in the Netherlands - probably more common in supermarkets than parsley - and used rather like parsley.

Back
Top Bottom