Recipe Parsley Foam

Discussion in 'Herbs, Spices, Dressings, Sauces and Dips' started by morning glory, May 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

To make this foam I used a stick blender but to make life easier you could use a 'cream siphon' which takes nitrous oxide chargers. You will also need powdered lecithin which is available from Amazon. Here I used the foam with asparagus, smoked salmon and lumpfish caviar.

fullsizeoutput_487f.jpeg

Ingredients
    (serves 4)
    40g curly leaved parsley
    75ml water or stock
    1/2 tsp lecithin
    Salt to taste

Method
    1. Blanch parsley including stems in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and plunge into iced water for a few minutes. This will preserve the bright green colour.
    2. Drain and place in a piece of strong paper towel or muslin. Squeeze tightly to remove any excess liquid. Place in a small container and partially freeze (this makes it easier to chop).
    3. Chop the partially frozen parsley and place in a beaker with the water or stock.
    4. Using a hand blender, blitz the mixture to form a liquid puree.
    5. Sieve the mixture through muslin to remove the tiny pieces of parsley. I used a jelly bag designed for use when making jam, to do this. Squeeze the muslin to extract every last drop of green liquid.
    6. You should extract approximately 90 -100ml of liquid.* Add salt to taste.
    7. Heat the parsley liquid gently in a small saucepan and stir in the lecithin until dissolved. For a denser foam, you can add more lecithin.
    8. Immerse a stick blender halfway into the liquid and whip the parsley mixture until foamy. This may take up to ten minutes. Use immediately as required.
    *The parsley liquid after sieving:
    fullsizeoutput_488c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4879.jpeg

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. Very creative! Now, I'm imagining a nice parsley flavor with a bit of bitterness at the end. Am I close?

3. morning glory

Yes - its quite delicate.

4. rascal

rascal Über Member

I must buy another stick blender, last one lost the blade.

Russ

5. Mountain Cat

Mountain Cat Active Member

This truly looks lovely... I will have to get some lethicin and experiment. Of course I also need the salmon and asparagus in there...

6. morning glory

Thank you. I did have fun!

TodayInTheKitchen likes this.