250g demerara sugar
a few drops of vanilla extract

For the Topping
50g butter, at room temperature
60g icing sugar
200g cream cheese
vanilla extract
mixed spice or cinnamon

Dairy free topping - if you are just covering the top, only use half this amount.
150g dairy free margarine
600g icing sugar
vanilla extract
mixed spice or cinnamon

Method
Preheat oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4.
Grease and line an 8inch round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
Combine the flour, maize flour, ground almonds, baking powder, mixed spice and salt in a bowl.
Sieve together four times to make sure the baking powder is evenly distributed.
Measure the sunflower oil, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until paler in colour then stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the parsnip and chopped apple.
Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate. Now turn this onto the cooling wire so the cake cools the right way up or it could break in half.

For the topping
soften the butter for 10 seconds in a microwave or leave at room temperature before beating together with the icing sugar. This is easier if you use a food mixer with a beater attachment or use a hand held mixer. Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract and mixed spice or cinnamon to taste.
Spread onto the top and sides of the cake with a pallet knife.

Dairy free topping
Mix the icing sugar into the dairy free margarine. Do not overbeat the mixture as it will split. Stir in a few drops of water until it reaches the required consistency. Stir in vanilla extract and mixed spice or cinnamon to taste.
You may think this is a lot of icing sugar. If you use less icing sugar to margarine, the mixture will split. Add a little extra flavouring to this buttercream.
Spread onto the top and sides of the cake with a pallet knife.

http://www.icedgembakes.co.uk/special-diet-blog/recipes/gluten-free-parsnip-and-apple-cake

What have we here? This icing is definitely too much for me. Any icing is too much for me. I tried something similar with a carrots and it was a major flop. Classic where are you?!?!!!?! You are missed!

What have we here? This icing is definitely too much for me. Any icing is too much for me. I tried something similar with a carrots and it was a major flop. Classic where are you?!?!!!?! You are missed!
There's a Parsnip Buttermilk Pie on now!
No icing either

Back
Top Bottom