Recipe Pasta e Fagioli

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
2:01 AM
* Note before we start. The quantities are approximate, because I never use a recipe for this.

Ingredients:
500 gms conchiglie or rigatoni pasta
2 handfuls (about 160/180 gms) Borlotti beans
2 medium onions, diced (you're looking for a "brunoise" here)
1 large carrot, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
Olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 large tomatoes, skinned and diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh or dried oregano
1 tsp chopped basil
150 mls water
1-2 tsps salt to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese to garnish

Method:
  • Cook the pasta for about 6-7 minutes. You want it VERY al dente because you'll need to cook it again later. Drain and set aside, but keep about 2 cupfuls of pasta water.
  • cook the Borlotti beans in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  • Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook gently until the onion begins to brown and the carrots/celery are soft.
  • Now add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan) and simmer for about 1 hour. Taste to adjust seasoning: you may want more salt, more sugar or more herbs. It's entirely up to you.
  • Once the sauce is ready, add the beans and the pasta. If the mixture looks "dry", then add about a cup (or more) of the pasta water. Cook through for two or three minutes.
  • Serve sprinked with Parmesan.
Pasta e Fagioli 3.jpg
Pasta e fagioli 1.jpg
Pasta e fagioli 2.jpg
Pasta e fagioli 4.jpg

* Note before we start. The quantities are approximate, because I never use a recipe for this.

Ingredients:
500 gms conchiglie or rigatoni pasta
2 handfuls (about 160/180 gms) Borlotti beans
2 medium onions, diced (you're looking for a "brunoise" here)
1 large carrot, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
Olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 large tomatoes, skinned and diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh or dried oregano
1 tsp chopped basil
150 mls water
1-2 tsps salt to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese to garnish

Method:
  • Cook the pasta for about 6-7 minutes. You want it VERY al dente because you'll need to cook it again later. Drain and set aside, but keep about 2 cupfuls of pasta water.
  • cook the Borlotti beans in boiling salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  • Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook gently until the onion begins to brown and the carrots/celery are soft.
  • Now add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan) and simmer for about 1 hour. Taste to adjust seasoning: you may want more salt, more sugar or more herbs. It's entirely up to you.
  • Once the sauce is ready, add the beans and the pasta. If the mixture looks "dry", then add about a cup (or more) of the pasta water. Cook through for two or three minutes.
  • Serve sprinked with Parmesan.
View attachment 101768View attachment 101766View attachment 101767View attachment 101769

Pasta e fagioli is one of my fave pasta dish, so comforting, so traditional and bloody good!

If I can give my humble suggestion, I would go only with small short pasta like conchiglie, ditalini or even spaghetti but broken in many little pieces.
I sometimes blend a bit fagioli so they give a creaminess all over 😉

I would go only with small short pasta like conchiglie, ditalini o
Thanks for that suggestion. Believe it or not, the only pastas available in the supermarket when I went to buy the stuff were "long" pastas: spaghetti, vermicelli, linguine, papardelle. My normal "go to" is conchiglie, so the fagioli get stuck inside!

Back
Top Bottom