Pasta, Pasta, Pasta

Another easy go-to for cheese-filled manicotti - filling manicotti with a stick of string cheese. Wrap a thin slice of ham around the cheese if you like. Top with tomato/marinara or white sauce, cover and bake.

I love pasta! Fat pasta, skinny pasta, long pasta, short pasta, stuffed or layered, homemade or store bought. Hot or cold. It's all good. Do you have a favorite pasta dish? Do you make your own? Any tips or tricks?
annabel.jpg

Another easy go-to for cheese-filled manicotti - filling manicotti with a stick of string cheese. Wrap a thin slice of ham around the cheese if you like. Top with tomato/marinara or white sauce, cover and bake.

They sound delicious.
However, it is curious that in Italy the word 'manicotto or manicotti' means anything but pasta. They correspond to metallic cylinders ... perhaps the word 'manicotti-pasta' takes its inspiration from this, I guess.
I think that this type of pasta is more referable to our Cannelloni or even Paccheri rigati.

They sound delicious.
However, it is curious that in Italy the word 'manicotto or manicotti' means anything but pasta. They correspond to metallic cylinders ... perhaps the word 'manicotti-pasta' takes its inspiration from this, I guess.
I think that this type of pasta is more referable to our Cannelloni or even Paccheri rigati.

In the U.S. Manicotti (shells/tubes) are ridged and angular at each end. Cannelloni is smooth and straight at each end. You can purchase the tubes at the market if you wish. I've personally never seen the cannelloni at the market. In Italian restaurants in New York, years ago, cannelloni was stuffed with ground veal. Most often, ground beef. Mostly, Manicotti was filled with ricotta or a combination of cheeses & topped with tomato sauce. Nowadays, you can even use a cut lasagna noodle, etc. for wrapping. So many interesting options for fillings, as well. I have a pic/link for manicotti stuffed with prosciutto-wrapped asparagus topped with Bechamel sauce, and chicken cordon Bleu manicotti. I'm partial to the more classic cheese-filled Manicotti with tomato sauce.

Last edited:
In the U.S. Manicotti (shells/tubes) are ridged and angular at each end. Cannelloni is smooth and straight at each end. You can purchase the tubes at the market if you wish. I've personally never seen the cannelloni at the market. In Italian restaurants in New York, years ago, cannelloni was stuffed with ground veal. Most often, ground beef. Mostly, Manicotti was filled with ricotta or a combination of cheeses & topped with tomato sauce. Nowadays, you can even use a cut lasagna noodle, etc. for wrapping. So many interesting options for fillings, as well. I have a pic/link for manicotti stuffed with prosciutto-wrapped asparagus topped with Bechamel sauce, and chicken cordon Bleu manicotti. I'm partial to the more classic cheese-filled Manicotti with tomato sauce.

I think that Manicotti can be what we call here "Paccheri Rigati" more than Cannelloni.
Photo attached of Paccheri...are manicotti like these?

And here Cannelloni are usually stuffed with ragù bolognese or even spinach and ricotta, they are the classic stuffing.
Yes, you can even used lasagna noodle for wrapping.

I'd love to see that pic/link for manicotti stuffed with prosciutto-asparagus, etc., it sounds a delicious stuffing

Paccheri Rigati.jpg

Oh so they are Manicotti! Thank you @TastyReuben
I've never seen them before.
They are a sort of long and narrow striped cannelloni, like a mix between cannelloni and striped paccheri.
Thanks @TastyReuben. My laptop is having issues right now. If anyone can Google Baked asparagus cannelloni with Bechamel sauce & post the link, I'd really appreciate the help. It's gorgeous.
Manicotti shells kind of remind me of cannoli. The Italian dessert shells stuffed with cream. I like the chocolate chip, but that's another thread/story. :)

Last edited:
Thanks @TastyReuben. My laptop is having issues right now. If you can Google Baked asparagus cannelloni with Bechamel sauce & post the link, I'd really appreciate the help. It's gorgeous.
Manicotti shells kind of remind me of cannoli. The Italian dessert shells stuffed with cream. I like the chocolate chip, but that's another thread/story. :)

Oh dear, you just named the cannoli ... stuffed with ricotta and chocolate chips, or candied fruit or pistachios :hyper:.... in my archive (a bit messed up) I should have also the recipe on how to make cannoli at home ... but that's another thread/story :happy:

Last edited:
I think that Manicotti can be what we call here "Paccheri Rigati" more than Cannelloni.
Photo attached of Paccheri...are manicotti like these?

And here Cannelloni are usually stuffed with ragù bolognese or even spinach and ricotta, they are the classic stuffing.
Yes, you can even used lasagna noodle for wrapping.

I'd love to see that pic/link for manicotti stuffed with prosciutto-asparagus, etc., it sounds a delicious stuffing

View attachment 31641
Very similar. The manicotti shells here are cut at an angle on both ends. The cannelloni are smooth, and cut straight at both ends.

Back
Top Bottom