Pears

Try oven-drying them.
This is how it's done.
1. Clean and wash, removing dirt and bruises.
2. Slice them using a kitchen knife. You can first take out the core.
3. Blanch them in acid.
4. Set the oven to 170 degrees celsius.
5. Put the pieces in the oven for 2 hours. turn them occasionally.
6. Condition them to make sure there is no water on them.
7. Store in an airtight container.

Try oven-drying them.
This is how it's done.
1. Clean and wash, removing dirt and bruises.
2. Slice them using a kitchen knife. You can first take out the core.
3. Blanch them in acid.
4. Set the oven to 170 degrees celsius.
5. Put the pieces in the oven for 2 hours. turn them occasionally.
6. Condition them to make sure there is no water on them.
7. Store in an airtight container.
Thank you.

It won't have been clear from my first post, but this is what I call pear chips, dehydrated pear slices. I have a 5 tray Excalibur Dehydrator (that's the reference to 5 trays full), which is also not obvious from my first post, sorry about that. The dehydrator has a set temperature (145°F) for dehydrating fruit.

I'm already making pear chips, 5 full trays everyday
We have jars and jars of them ready for winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere) hence me looking for other ideas.

I'm also making what's known a fruit leathers with them, which is pureed pears with another flavour if you want such as plum or raspberry, and again dehydrated to turn into sheets of fruit puree minus the water content that you then cut up into strips. The basic recipe is meant to have sugar added but we find it sweet enough without extra being added. Yes extra sugar extends the life acting as a preservative but I'm not too worried about that. I've never had any go bad on me.

I've started making loads of pear chutney now but I only have so many jars, so I'm having to stop cooking it before all the water has evaporated and allow it to cool before freezing it in an airtight container in the deep freeze. The plan is that I can defrost it at a later date, return it to the boil and jar it up normally when I have some more jars available. I'm also doing the same with an onion pear base which means I can alter the spices per batch as we decide we'd prefer something different.

And I've a second batch of 10L of pear cider vinegar on the go to try to use more of the pears. The second graft on my pear tree is now ripe and will soon be harvested. The tree grows 2 varieties that ripen at different times. Winter is not far away now.

Thank you.

It won't have been clear from my first post, but this is what I call pear chips, dehydrated pear slices. I have a 5 tray Excalibur Dehydrator (that's the reference to 5 trays full), which is also not obvious from my first post, sorry about that. The dehydrator has a set temperature (145°F) for dehydrating fruit.

We have jars and jars of them ready for winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere) hence me looking for other ideas.

I'm also making what's known a fruit leathers with them, which is pureed pears with another flavour if you want such as plum or raspberry, and again dehydrated to turn into sheets of fruit puree minus the water content that you then cut up into strips. The basic recipe is meant to have sugar added but we find it sweet enough without extra being added. Yes extra sugar extends the life acting as a preservative but I'm not too worried about that. I've never had any go bad on me.

I've started making loads of pear chutney now but I only have so many jars, so I'm having to stop cooking it before all the water has evaporated and allow it to cool before freezing it in an airtight container in the deep freeze. The plan is that I can defrost it at a later date, return it to the boil and jar it up normally when I have some more jars available. I'm also doing the same with an onion pear base which means I can alter the spices per batch as we decide we'd prefer something different.

And I've a second batch of 10L of pear cider vinegar on the go to try to use more of the pears. The second graft on my pear tree is now ripe and will soon be harvested. The tree grows 2 varieties that ripen at different times. Winter is not far away now.
You're quite welcome. Let us know how it goes.

How wonderful to have all those pears right on your doorstep almost, though I don't envy you the work involved with them.
We have apricot, apples and plums as well, but this year we lost the apricot and plums to late frost during the flowering period, so no fruit ever set. The apples were all lost to a freak thunderstorm on boxing day/st Stephen's day when we had giant hail stones where only 3 could sit on my hand fingers to wrist. Despite the hot temperatures with it being summer in the southern hemisphere, the drifts of hail stones hadn't melted the following day. All the fruit on everything except for the pear trees was lost. The situation wag the same for our immediate neighbours roughly a km either side of us, but the storm didn't affect anyone else. We lost everything in the garden that wasn't protected by something. Every single leaf was shredded to pieces. :(

Back
Top Bottom