Recipe Pepper Jelly

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:40 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Please note that I'm not misplacing this. If you've ever made a pepper jelly, you'll know it's not really a dessert. It makes a fantastic topping to meats, or it can be enjoyed on a cracker if you want to clear your sinuses.

I made a serrano pepper jelly using the same basic recipe I used in my habanero pepper jelly recipe. It's not as spicy, as you can imagine, but it was hot enough to give it character. I was about to take the picture when I saw my daughter's beautiful picture of our pug. I decided that I wanted it in the background of my pepper jelly recipe. I didn't realize at first how perfect it is:

A picture of a dog named PEPPER over a jar of pepper jelly.

This could be the label of my new line of pepper jelly.

IMG_0780.JPG

Here's the recipe (showing what I made in the picture above; the link takes you to the habanero pepper recipe). Please note that the many warning about taking care when preparing this are quite real. Serrano peppers (~10,000 on the Scoville Scale) aren't quite as terrifying as habaneros (~300,000 on the Scoville scale), but they're still hot. I was able to work on them without any eye protection or gloves.

And, gentlemen: make sure you use the rest room before you start making this. And wash your hands thoroughly if you need to go afterward. Trust me: you'll thank me later.

Ingredients

4 ounces serrano peppers (about 10 peppers)
1 green bell pepper
1⁄2 cup white vinegar, divided
1 cup sugar
1 1⁄2 ounces liquid pectin, 1/2 packet

Directions
  1. Remove stems and seeds from peppers. Make sure to wear eye protection and clean your hands thoroughly afterward. Don't wipe your eyes or touch anything else with your hands. You may also want to wear gloves if you have sensitive skin.
  2. Chop peppers and add to food processor with 1/4 cup of vinegar. Continue to wear eye protection! Puree thoroughly, placing a towel over the top to avoid any splashing.
  3. Add puree with sugar and remaining vinegar to a small pan. Stir until integrated, and then bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes while stirring frequently. Don't lean over the top of the pan will it's cooking as the fumes can be painful to smell.
  4. Stir pectin into the mixture and boil for another minute while stirring. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
  5. Fill a jar with hot water, then empty the water. so adding the hot mixture doesn't crack the jar. Very carefully pour mixture into the jar, then seal. Allow to reach room temperature before refrigerating.
  6. Cool mixture completely before serving. Try a small amount at a time, since it's spicy (but, what did you expect: they're serrano peppers!). Jelly takes 24-48 hours to set, but it can be enjoyed (carefully!) before that if you like.

When you say "jelly" would that be a "jam" over here, not a "jelly"?

When you say "jelly" would that be a "jam" over here, not a "jelly"?
My definition of a jam is a sweet(ish) spread with chunks of something in it. So, strawberry jam would have chunks of strawberries. In this case, it's all pureed, so it's smooth, making it what I call a jelly. But, yes, there's only so much my food processor can do to break down the pieces. Maybe it's a jamelly?

Please note that I'm not misplacing this. If you've ever made a pepper jelly, you'll know it's not really a dessert. It makes a fantastic topping to meats, or it can be enjoyed on a cracker if you want to clear your sinuses.

I made a serrano pepper jelly using the same basic recipe I used in my habanero pepper jelly recipe. It's not as spicy, as you can imagine, but it was hot enough to give it character. I was about to take the picture when I saw my daughter's beautiful picture of our pug. I decided that I wanted it in the background of my pepper jelly recipe. I didn't realize at first how perfect it is:

A picture of a dog named PEPPER over a jar of pepper jelly.

This could be the label of my new line of pepper jelly

This is right up my street - and the hotter the better!

Cough cough cough.
It isn't just gentlemen that should use the restroom first and wash hands throughly afterwards.
Gloves are a very good idea. You still need to wash hands well afterwards.
*Harbor Freight sells gloves cheap.

Back
Top Bottom