Perfect poached eggs

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:56 AM
Yorky and morning glory wondered how I found this poached egg method. Now I'm open to try new things, I normally just boil water in a frypan and cook. You know how some things pop,up on your screen, well this popped up the other day. The only link I could remember was Nats $$$ m@@@' only remember the nats part. Not the rest. He does a cooking lesson in a few minutes.
Take a pot and put water in, just enough to cover an egg standing on its pointy end. When it's boiling turn it down to just bubbling slightly. Now the egg has been cracked into a small cup. This makes pitting it in easier. About 2 tablespoons white vinegar, I used rice vinegar, all I had. Spin the water around with a spoon. Then gently drop the egg in. I did two. Then just let it simmer away until it's ready. Mine popped off the bottom and I knew they were done. Two perfect yolks encrusted with nice whites.

I've tried variations of these but never got the cafe type eggs just right. These were awesome. Some of you no doubt already make the perfect egg, I've always battled. I'm happy as now. :)
Russ

This is the method I use. A big part of it involves draining the egg in a fine mesh strainer at the very start. It gets rid of the excess watery part of the white, so no more of those wispy, shaggy bits that make an ugly egg.

Easy Poached Eggs Recipe

Spin the water around with a spoon. Then gently drop the egg in.

Yes - that is how I've always done it - swirl the water. I don't add vinegar though. I've tried it and I don't think it makes any difference unless you want the slight flavour of vinegar.

A big part of it involves draining the egg in a fine mesh strainer at the very start

I have done that before but generally I don't bother, I just trim of the shaggy bits.

The other crucially important thing is to use the freshest eggs possible. The older the egg the more the white becomes loose and spreads.

Yes - that is how I've always done it - swirl the water. I don't add vinegar though. I've tried it and I don't think it makes any difference unless you want the slight flavour of vinegar.

I have done that before but generally I don't bother, I just trim of the shaggy bits.

The other crucially important thing is to use the freshest eggs possible. The older the egg the more the white becomes loose and spreads.

I used rice vinegar and no taste from it at all. I had white vinegar but it wasn't in the pantry so I spotted the rice one and used that. Btw I took eggs out with a slotted spoon.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom