Perfectly cooked bacon as discussed earlier....

I'm fan of whisking in some proper or homemade butter into the eggs in a bowl with a fork before hitting a pre heated pan, then keep it moving and remove from the heat completely. Always keep it moving. Occasionally returning for a few seconds as the temp drops - and stop earlier than the way you want it as the residual heat will continue to gently solidify the scrambled eggs. I don't add any salt when whisking as apparnetly according to Heston Blumenthal and Gordon Ramsey this hardens the egg white. Gordon recommends adding some creme fraiche at the end which to be honest I never do as its not a normal staple in our house.
I've recently become a bit addicted to some finely chopped fennel whisps over the top as this is growly nicely all over the garden ( the whisps are the fine dark green tops extruding from the fennel plant )
Scrambled egg is such a humble yet rewarding meal - yum!

I'm fan of whisking in some proper or homemade butter into the eggs in a bowl with a fork before hitting a pre heated pan, then keep it moving and remove from the heat completely. Always keep it moving. Occasionally returning for a few seconds as the temp drops - and stop earlier than the way you want it as the residual heat will continue to gently solidify the scrambled eggs. I don't add any salt when whisking as apparnetly according to Heston Blumenthal and Gordon Ramsey this hardens the egg white. Gordon recommends adding some creme fraiche at the end which to be honest I never do as its not a normal staple in our house.
I've recently become a bit addicted to some finely chopped fennel whisps over the top as this is growly nicely all over the garden ( the whisps are the fine dark green tops extruding from the fennel plant )
Scrambled egg is such a humble yet rewarding meal - yum!

I add salt and pepper while cooking my scrambled eggs, and haven't found any negative effects. I take the advice of celebrity chefs with a grain of salt, pardon the pun. I've eaten at one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants, and the food was mediocre, at best.

CD

I add salt and pepper while cooking my scrambled eggs, and haven't found any negative effects. I take the advice of celebrity chefs with a grain of salt, pardon the pun. I've eaten at one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants, and the food was mediocre, at best.
I totally hear you - there is no right or wrong way really with such a dish. I find both chefs fascinating - Gordon for his passion and he is highly skilled, and Heston refers to himself more as a food alchemist and scientist. Some of his programmes and processes are amazing and interesting (and I love the science he often explains) - best thing I picked up and always do is using star anise when frying mince for any dish as it makes its more 'beefy' - some of his other stuff like edible cutlery, snail porridge, and egg and bacon icecream is a bit barmy - but I'm sure lots of dishes hundreds of years ago where probably considered barmy....

I still get flummoxed by the ingredients that are poisonous unless you cook them - like which brave soul thought " I know , I'll try cooking first and see if it still kills me' :roflmao:

I don't like Gordon's scrambled eggs to say the least - and I never add salt at all to my scrambled eggs (unless it comes in by the way of some cheese I may or may not add, depending on my mood). I like nice large curds, not hard but not liquidy either. Houseguests can add salt at the table if they like it. I generally do cook them adding a little ground pepper and perhaps some other herbs/spices. Maybe I will make some scrambled later this week.

Butter or ghee, however - that's good with scrambled eggs. I will cook the eggs in a pan with either butter or with avocado oil, depending on mood. (Or with bacon grease, if I've been also cooking that title bacon mentioned in this thread...)

Regards bacon - I know the American bacon differs from what the Brits consider proper bacon - I've had that in the UK and liked it, btw. But as I usually see American bacon here, that's what I eat. (It does vary in quality depending on source, alas).

I find myself picky about how far it gets cooked - crispy with moister portions, but not burnt. This is one reason I'll never microwave my bacon. You have seconds between under and overcooked. And since i tend to buy pastured bacon strips, they aren't always cut to the same degree of even-ness. Which affects cooking time. And the number of slices in a microwave also affects cooking time. Why should I always want the same number?

Regards bacon - I know the American bacon differs from what the Brits consider proper bacon - I've had that in the UK and liked it, btw. But as I usually see American bacon here, that's what I eat. (It does vary in quality depending on source, alas).

I find myself picky about how far it gets cooked - crispy with moister portions, but not burnt. This is one reason I'll never microwave my bacon. You have seconds between under and overcooked. And since i tend to buy pastured bacon strips, they aren't always cut to the same degree of even-ness. Which affects cooking time. And the number of slices in a microwave also affects cooking time. Why should I always want the same number?
And vice versa - I do love a pile of American style bacon...as a Brit, our main staple of back is "back bacon" which is predominantly pork loin with some of the rib belly - i think its similar/same to Canadian bacon - not served crispy at all. The angelic reviving abilities of a bacon sandwich after a heavy night out are part of our lore.:roflmao: I think American bacon is predominantly belly pork right?

The biggest argument in the UK about bacon is wether to have it with red sauce or brown sauce!!!

The british comedian Al Murrey (aka The Pub landlord) does a great piece about why bacon proves the existence of God - well worth a watch😄
View: https://youtu.be/lBGmwx6Lz88

And vice versa - I do love a pile of American style bacon...as a Brit, our main staple of back is "back bacon" which is predominantly pork loin with some of the rib belly - i think its similar/same to Canadian bacon - not served crispy at all. The angelic reviving abilities of a bacon sandwich after a heavy night out are part of our lore.:roflmao: I think American bacon is predominantly belly pork right?

The biggest argument in the UK about bacon is wether to have it with red sauce or brown sauce!!!
I've had UK bacon in both England and Scotland, - - I don't use brown or red sauce, however, with bacon. Or at least I didn't know I might supposed to be doing so. (Tasted fine as itself...)

Either are essential in the life restoring bacon butty! I'm a ketchup fan in the butty, and sometimes sweet chilli sauce, though should the local masses find out I've dabbled with sweet chilli sauce in a butty I could be publicly shamed and stoned to death! Certainly the more north you go in the UK the numbers of brown sauce fans seems to increase.

I should point out a 'butty' is a sandwich....I'm not putting ketchup in my butt.

Yes, American bacon is ALL pork belly. Cured, and usually smoked.

No sauces! :stop:

When I make a bacon sandwich, it is just buttered toast and bacon.

CD

The british comedian Al Murrey (aka The Pub landlord) does a great piece about why bacon proves the existence of God - well worth a watch😄
View: https://youtu.be/lBGmwx6Lz88

Yes, it IS made from pork bellies.

Cheers buddy! Yeah we call it streaky bacon here. I make my own here in the UK (How to make Streaky Bacon | American Bacon Recipe)
We certainly don't have the same level of interest here in the UK for making your own bacons - it does appear in the US and Canada it is far more prolific and tends to involve lots of hot and cold smoking - something that slowly is growing in popularity here in the UK.
We are hampered by the weather most of the time :roflmao: :mad:

And don't get me started on BBQ - I will happily acknowledge that the US do this far far better then the UK (again weather dominated) and I love going to BBQ houses in the US where you see it is a real skill and art!

Back
Top Bottom