flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:56 AM
Persimmon Bread Pudding:

full.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Bread rolls or buns - as required

NOTE: It is best to use a sweet bread roll, like a brioche, but any type of roll or bun will work, so long as it has lots of crust. For that , the best option is small dinner rolls, about 3 to 4. For larger buns, 2 would be plenty.

2) Persimmon - 1
3) Cheese blend, shredded - 1/4 cup
4) Egg - 1
5) Butter - 2 to 3 tblspns.
6) Half n half or milk - 1 cup
7) Sugar, brown - 1/4 cup
8) Amaretto - 1/4 cup
9) Vanilla - 1 tspn.
10) Cinnamon - 1 tspn.

Procedure:

1) Soften butter in advance.
2) Break the bread rolls or buns into 1/2" pieces.
3) Preheat the oven to 375F
4) On parchment paper, bake the bread pieces until browned.
5) Mix egg, butter, half n half, sugar, vanilla and amaretto.
6) Stir in the cinnamon and cheese.
7) Lightly coat the bread pieces in the mixture.
8) Spoon the bread and mix into a baking dish.
9) Arrange the bread pieces as much as possible in a pattern.
10) Slice the Persimmon crosswise into 1/8" slices and quarter.
11) Cover the bread pudding with the persimmon in a pattern.
12) Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350F.

NOTE: Bake until top is browned and lightly pushing down with a fork or spoon is responded to by a springing back of the pudding.

13) Remove from oven and allow to cool to a warm temperature.
14) Slice the pudding into sections.
15) Spoon onto serving plates.
16) Serve.

This is really interesting. At first glance, it looks like a bread pudding but then the cheese. What kind of dish is this, European, Asian, American? I'd like to learn more.

I made my own alterations to what would be the normal recipe for a bread pudding. I added an egg, amaretto and shredded cheese. I pre-browned the well crusted roll pieces as well. Beyond those changes, it would have been somewhat normal and well, just bread pudding. With the changes I made it was unique and much more flavorful. I had even thought of throwing in prosciutto, but decided not to.

You are new to CB and you ought to know that I am one of the crazy amateur cooks at CB who likes to do things unique and new. I don't like following recipes step per step. If it isn't unique, it's not me; it's somebody else who did the recipe.

BTW: This was the first time I have ever made bread pudding. :okay:

I made my own alterations to what would be the normal recipe for a bread pudding. I added an egg, amaretto and shredded cheese. I pre-browned the well crusted roll pieces as well. Beyond those changes, it would have been somewhat normal and well, just bread pudding. With the changes I made it was unique and much more flavorful. I had even thought of throwing in prosciutto, but decided not to.

You are new to CB and you ought to know that I am one of the crazy amateur cooks at CB who likes to do things unique and new. I don't like following recipes step per step. If it isn't unique, it's not me; it's somebody else who did the recipe.

BTW: This was the first time I have ever made bread pudding. :okay:
Oh, I see. Well, I look forward to seeing, and reading about, your cooking adventures.

(I never would have thought to add cheese to bread pudding, but you might be on to something...)

Oh, I see. Well, I look forward to seeing, and reading about, your cooking adventures.

(I never would have thought to add cheese to bread pudding, but you might be on to something...)

Bread puddings can be sweet or savoury. There are plenty of savoury recipes which use cheese. What is rather unusual here is that this bread pudding has both fruit and sugar as well. So its basically a sweet bread pudding with cheese in it.

I must admit I'm not entirely sure I'd want any cheese other than mild cream type cheese mixed with sugar. What is the 'cheese blend' you used flyinglentris?

Bread puddings can be sweet or savoury. There are plenty of savoury recipes which use cheese. What is rather unusual here is that this bread pudding has both fruit and sugar as well. So its basically a sweet bread pudding with cheese in it.

I must admit I'm not entirely sure I'd want any cheese other than mild cream type cheese mixed with sugar. What is the 'cheese blend' you used flyinglentris?

I favor a store bought shredded blend of regular and Mexican cheeses which include orange and white cheeses. It is called "Fiesta Blend" and includes Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Asadero and Quesa Quesadilla cheeses.

e4-99bafc7ce028_2.8b7e0b4c050a4ed80e4358868eb4d4e2.jpg

Photo link courtesy of Walmart

I get this in 2 Lb. bags and use it in burritos, tacos and some times, on pizzas.

Back
Top Bottom