Recipe Peruvian Steak, Onion, And Tomato Stir-Fry (Lomo Saltado)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:27 AM
Peruvian Steak, Onion, And Tomato Stir-Fry (Lomo Saltado)
Makes 4 Servings

Ingredients
1-1/2 lbs beef sirloin tips, trimmed, cut with the grain into 3-inch pieces and sliced 1/2-inch thick against the grain
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
5 TB soy sauce, divided
3 TB grapeseed or other neutral oil, divided
1 large red onion, halved and cut into 1/2-inch half-rings
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno chili, stemmed and sliced into thin rounds
1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the beef, cumin, 1 tsp each salt and pepper, and 2 TB of soy sauce. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes. Pat the meat dry and set aside.

In a 12-inch skillet over high, heat 1 TB of oil until barely smoking. Add half of the meat in a single layer and cook, turning once, until well browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 TB of the remaining oil and the remaining meat.

In the same pan over medium-high, heat the remaining 1 TB oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until just starting to soften, about 2 minutes.

Stir in the vinegar and the remaining 3 TB soy sauce, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir in the garlic and jalapeno and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and the meat, along with any accumulated juices. Cook until the meat is just warmed through, about 30 seconds. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.

NOTES: If you prefer a less spicy dish, halve and seed the jalapenos before slicing into half-rings. Also, don't cook the beef without first patting it dry, or else it will steam instead of sear and cook in two smaller batches, to promote browning. Classically, this dish is served over French fries and/or steamed rice.

Recipe courtesy of The Complete Milk Street Cookbook

Can I have mushrooms in mine? Also, would it be a travesty to use different beef, like filet mignon or something? I know what a stickler you are for following recipes to the tee...but you know what a weirdo I am!

Can I have mushrooms in mine? Also, would it be a travesty to use different beef, like filet mignon or something? I know what a stickler you are for following recipes to the tee...but you know what a weirdo I am!
Actually, according to the notes, tenderloin is the more traditional choice, so...

Deviate from a Christopher Kimball recipe? Are you mad, woman???!!!

CD

Looks good! I'd not heard of this dish before. Peruvian Michelin starred chef Martin Morales has a slightly different recipe here - using ají amarillo chilli paste and vodka.

Looks good! I'd not heard of this dish before. Peruvian Michelin starred chef Martin Morales has a slightly different recipe here - using ají amarillo chilli paste and vodka.
Yes, the notes do say that traditionally, aji peppers are used, but those aren't easy to find here, and since a good part of Kimball's method is to make international dishes more accessible in a typical American home kitchen, he (or rather, his employees :laugh:) will develop a recipe using ingredients much more easily sourced, but then tell about the traditional ingredients and preparation in the notes.

Back
Top Bottom