Pet peeves about cooking shows

When watching the Food Network at night, every blasted show is a challenge one!! The days then there were just straight-up cooking shows are gone forever!! They've all been replaced by THIS crap!! Emeril Lagasse & others left the network because of this!! :eek:

What I find totally obnoxious are "celebrities" with cooking shows.
I'm talking about personalities from TV, Movie, CW Singers, etc.
They're reading from que cards in a studio, not there home kitchen as they elude to.
Out of the blue, these people fancy themselves authorities in all things food... they're just talking AT me, not teaching me a damn thing.
It's all about those Nielsen Ratings !!! How entertaining can this one or that one be and bring in the viewers.
If I had a brick in my hand ... this is another reason why we no longer have regulation TV ... we stream the content that we truly like, and it's free (for the most part).
I'd much rather watch some random person making something in real time, maybe messing up here and there, that's NOT just yapping at me.

What I find totally obnoxious are "celebrities" with cooking shows.
I'm talking about personalities from TV, Movie, CW Singers, etc.
They're reading from que cards in a studio, not there home kitchen as they elude to.
Out of the blue, these people fancy themselves authorities in all things food... they're just talking AT me, not teaching me a damn thing.
It's all about those Nielsen Ratings !!! How entertaining can this one or that one be and bring in the viewers.
If I had a brick in my hand ... this is another reason why we no longer have regulation TV ... we stream the content that we truly like, and it's free (for the most part).
I'd much rather watch some random person making something in real time, maybe messing up here and there, that's NOT just yapping at me.

Yeah, for instance, for years, Valerie Bertinelli was an actress in a comedy sitcom. Now, voila!! She's a cook on the Food Network's morning weekend lineup!! Where did she get her cooking skills from & who taught her how to cook? There's no mention of that. It's like suddenly, overnight!! She's another one that fancies herself as an authority figure in cooking. Where are her credentials on culinary experiences?!! :eek:

Last edited:
Chefs that bring their kids and friends into the program, I hate that.

Russ

Aaron McCargo Jr. did that a few years ago when he hosted Big Daddy's House on the Food Network. I think all of them were on there. I don't have a problem with that because to me, the kids are learning how to cook. :whistling:

Yeah, for instance, for years, Valerie Bertinelli was an actress in a comedy sitcom. Now, voila!! She's a cook on the Food Network's morning weekend lineup!! Where did she get her cooking skills from & who taught her how to cook? There's no mention of that. It's like suddenly, overnight!! She's another one that fancies herself as an authority figure in cooking. Where are her credentials on culinary experiences?!! :eek:

I think she does a good show, and she is well known to be a great home cook. That was known long before she had a cooking show. If you look at her son (Wolfgang VanHalen), he certainly ate well growing up. :eek: :laugh:

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 9.06.34 PM.jpg

CD

Was he with the singing group Van Halen? I remember the song, Jump. :whistling:

He is now. His father was the late guitar legend Eddie VanHalen, one of the founding members of VanHalen. Wolfgand took his father's place in the band, and has his father's talent.

CD

The waste is my hang up, where does all that food go? Especially in contests where judges take one or two bites, does the rest get eaten or thrown?
That thought really put me off them for a long time to be honest, I can't justify wasting so much.

The waste is my hang up, where does all that food go? Especially in contests where judges take one or two bites, does the rest get eaten or thrown?
That thought really put me off them for a long time to be honest, I can't justify wasting so much.
I’ve read the camera crew are eternally hungry and it doesn’t last five minutes once filming is over - even after it’s long gone cold 😆

The most cringeworthy thing I´ve seen recently is David Beckham´s son, Brooklyn, who has made some food videos. This one was particularly ridiculous, given that truffles cost about $700 per kilo and have a particularly strong flavour.

I think Brooklyn should reconsider his career options. Perhaps poodle hairdressing would suit him better.

I know I’ve read articles before, those “Things You Didn’t Know About Cooking Shows” type articles, and one of those is that, depending on the show, the food you see prepared isn’t really fit to eat, because being a visual medium, they go for looks, so many times, things will be raw in the middle, that sort of thing.

Another nod to my buddy Pepin, he’s known to be extremely frugal, even on his shows, and he doesn’t just talk the talk, he lives it, and when his food is presented, it’s done, and it’s eaten by the crew, or by his family.

She has never claimed to be a chef, just a pretty good home cook. I like her. Screw "creds", you can either cook or you can't. I also like Trisha Yearwood.

Back
Top Bottom