Pet peeves about cooking shows

My food photos are real food, since I eat it after I photograph it. But, I know that professional food stylist still do some weird stuff to make food look better, particularly for marketing/advertising use. Editorial photographers tend to use food that is edible, although maybe not as shot. I did a magazine shoot of food from a prime steakhouse. The steak was pretty much raw inside, with a perfect crust. After the shoot, the chef finished cooking the steak to medium rare so I could eat it.

View attachment 98203

CD
Color me envious. I just can't seem to get my photos to look right. My late wife used to do all that for me so I was lazy and never picked up the skills.

One of the things I’m not keen on in a very small percentage of cookery progs is the when they insert too much whimsy or have an overtly sexy edge to it. I don’t want to see a chef eating a spoonful of something like they’re trying to seduce you.
This totally reminded me of Nigella Lawson! I seem to remember her show was shot with many a close up, and mood lighting, and had a feeling to it that I can only describe as an attempt at "intimate" 😅

Well, we all know Giada would be in the running!

I just did an internet search on "chef cleavage" and this is a small part of what came up. It went on for pages. :laugh:

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 10.50.52 PM.jpg

CD

This totally reminded me of Nigella Lawson! I seem to remember her show was shot with many a close up, and mood lighting, and had a feeling to it that I can only describe as an attempt at "intimate" 😅
Yep she’s a shocker for that stuff.
Still like some of her recipes though.
I met her at ‘An Evening With Nigella’
Was excited to go and was so disappointed, she really wasn’t very nice.

It was if the prole’s around her disgusted her. I asked her a perfectly reasonable question and I felt like something stuck to the bottom of her shoe.
The other woman with her (her sidekick if you like) had to work her socks off to keep the conversation going and work around Nigella’s clipped ungiving answers. She didn’t appear to like her either!
It was quite a surprise as it’s so far from the gracious host of her TV image.

One of the ‘audience’ snapped in the end and said how can she possibly go round selling this impossible ideal of a domestic goddess. It was both awkward and amusing.

Maybe she was having a bad day but if you can turn it on for the cameras to the extent she does you can turn it on just a little bit for people who paid for tickets to what is essentially a show that you’re putting on.

Here’s how my Nigella-watching usually goes:

10AM: Oh, look, Nigella’s on!
10:05AM: <Tasty blissfully kissing the TV>
10:06AM: Changing the channel, you disgust me, Nigella!

I fear I can take only so much of that breathy, bedroom-eyes presentation style of hers.
:laugh:

Here’s how my Nigella-watching usually goes:

10AM: Oh, look, Nigella’s on!
10:05AM: <Tasty blissfully kissing the TV>
10:06AM: Changing the channel, you disgust me, Nigella!

I fear I can take only so much of that breathy, bedroom-eyes presentation style of hers.
:laugh:
Let me share a quote from the book "Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops" (really funny book if you want to read it). The author used to work in a bookshop, but I assume the title is self explanatory.

One of the stories in the book is about a customer who walked into the bookshop and asked this:

"Do you stock Nigella Lawson under `S?x' or `Cookery'?"

The thing that makes me 🤨 at Nigella is that she swears up and down her cooking show personality is just how she is, and that she doesn’t even get why people think the way she talks, describes things, and looks seductively into the camera every 6.2 seconds is sexy.

That’s BS and you know it, Nigella! Just be honest with us! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom