Pet peeves about cooking shows

The thing that makes me 🤨 at Nigella is that she swears up and down her cooking show personality is just how she is, and that she doesn’t even get why people think the way she talks, describes things, and looks seductively into the camera every 6.2 seconds is sexy.
That was your impression when you sneaked out to dinner with her, wasn´t it?

Classic Table Etiquette in the UK dictates that one should use the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right. You have your knife in your right hand because that is the "dominant" hand, a selfish decision made by right-handed people just to spite us lefties.:hyper::hyper:

I'll never know why but when I was a child I was taught to eat with the fork convex uppermost whatever I was eating. This required mashed potatoes to be piled on the opposite of what is sensibly the correct side. I still do it to this day (although I do now turn the fork over for the last of the peas).

Yep. Me too. I was never allowed to turn the fork round (which would have been the logical move). The answer was always " You´re not drinking soup!"

My sister and I were taught proper table manners, including the use of utensils. However, the American way of using utensils is not the same as the British way. I don't see either one as inferior or superior, just different.

CD

I am right handed, but I can do a lot of things, but certainly not everything, with my left hand. I think it was probably because of years and years of piano. I can do the Vulcan greeting as well, plus put my hands flat on a table and lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.
But can you chew gum while walking??
Lol. :)

Russ
Giggle "The Petersens with the song "Jolene".

Thanks I enjoyed the original. :)

Russ

Anybody ever listen to the song Elvira? It's almost as bad as Jolene.

At my second to last job before retiring, I had a colleague whose name was Elvira. She was from the Dominican Republic so it was correctly pronounced as El-ve-ra with a rolled r, but almost everyone in the office was Anglo so she had us use the English pronunciation, which is like in the song.

She and I, along with a younger man worked later than most of the other employees as we came in later. One night close to Halloween, we were joking around about some of the stupid movies and I mentioned Elvira, remember her, self titled Mistress of the Dark I think, and that led to me remembering the song and mentioning it. I thought Elvira was going to kill me because the young man loved to tease her anyway (we were both old enough to be his grandmother) and he ran with the song, playing it low on his computer and humming it for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom