Pet Peeves

People who misuse paella as a dish not a cooking pan. This is my arroz y pescado cooked in a paella ( derived from the Latin for pan )
1604396757770.png

Um, I think I answered that, but it is "tah-ko" In Spanish, the letter "A" is always pronounced "ah."

CD

Sorry I misread. So I'm pronouncing it wrongly as is almost everyone in the UK! I think I'd be laughed at if I pronounced it the Spanish way.
As a non-native speaker I probably pronounce 1000 words wrongly...especially the ones I don't use in my daily life.

How do you pronounce 'taco' LissaC?

People who misuse paella as a dish not a cooking pan. This is my arroz y pescado cooked in a paella ( derived from the Latin for pan )View attachment 49742

Larousse Gastronomique lists paella as a dish (recipe) and says that the name is derived from the pan in which its cooked - a paellera. In fact I'm pretty sure that in Spain the pan can also be called paella.

Also the Spanish themselves refer to the dish as paella and it has many regional variations.

In many regions of Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries, the term paellera may be used for the traditional pan, while paella is reserved for the rice dish prepared in it. Both paella and paellera are correct terms for the pan.[17]

Its the same with tagine - its widely accepted that tagine is a dish despite it also being the name of the cooking pot.

This is a rabbit dish I like Arroz con conejo y Hortalizas cooked in a paella. I like to add snails. There are many types of vacuum cleaners, why are the commonly known in the UK as Hoovers.
1604399067363.png

Why do some foodies insist you must rip basil ? " The flavors in basil – like any herb – are primarily contained within the cells of the leaf. If you tear it, it tends to come apart between the cells so that less flavor is released (because it stays in the cells). If you cut the leaf, you will break open the cells (some of them, anyway), releasing more flavor."
Here is an example of pretentious blogger twaddle I dislike. "We've all seen recipes that call for gently tearing basil and adding the tender herb just before serving, but it's one of those instructions I've always ignored. What's the big deal if the basil gets a little bruised when it's sliced with a knife. (The sharper the knife, the better, if you insist on going that direction.) When chopped, the leaves turn dark, sometimes they even take on a black quality that's not very pretty.
It might seem like a time saver to chop fresh basil, but it only takes a few minutes to finish a salad or a top a pasta or make a stew truly memorable. Somehow, tearing it gave me a heightened sense of appreciation for all the effort behind the growing process. The planting, weeding, watering and general tending seems pretty straightforward, but my thumb's never been green. That's why I'm so blown away when friends and families share their harvest, and why I'm a firm believer in local farmers markets." "That's why I'm so blown away"presumably by your own hot air !

Last edited:
Even though I was an English Language major in college, I don't mind when people mispronounce words. I have learned that words evolve over time based on usage, whether it's due to an influx of people from different regions or whatever.

Having said that, in the early days of associating with my sister-in-law, she had the most hilarious mispronunciations. Here's my favorite:
  • Filet mignon - she'd say "fill-let mig-non". Yep...she was sounding it out.
    • She'd say, "The fill-et mig-non here is to die for." I'd say, "Yes...I think I will try the filet mignon (using the correct pronunciation)". Sometimes she'd give me a weird look, like I was the one mispronouncing it.
    • Over time, she started saying filet correctly, but she'd still say "filet mig-non".
    • It took about 10 years, but she now pronounces it correctly.
And, what she said about the filet (or fill-et) being to die for is an expression I absolutely hate. Really? That steak is so good that you're willing to lay down your life just to eat it?

I also have a LOT of pet peeves about things in my neighborhood. I notice these things now that I'm taking my dogs for walks just about every day:
  • Invisible fences
    • Why it shouldn't bother me. It sounds like a great idea: You don't need to pay for a fence, and your dog gets to have the feeling of freedom while also being kept on your property.
    • Why I can't stand it. What you get all the time is the neighbor's dog barking at you in the front yard instead of confined to a fenced area in the back. The range always is set to allow the dog to go right up to the sidewalk, so I always have to cross the street. And, while they are legal to sell here, they do still administer a small electric shock to the dog.
  • People who let their dogs walk around without leashes
    • Why it shouldn't bother me. I assume the dog is so well-trained that they shouldn't be a problem.
    • Why I can't stand it. No dog, no matter how well-trained, is perfect. I did have one start heading toward my dogs when they started barking, and the owner was going nuts trying to get the dog to behave. Here's an idea: USE A LEASH!
  • Golf carts
    • Why it shouldn't bother me. They are an efficient mode of light transportation, especially when the weather's nice. They aren't noisy like some vehicles, and I can see neighbors stopping to chat when they ride in them.
    • Why I can't stand it. What I see most often are really young people (I swear they're as young as 10, but it's probably closer to 15) flying around the neighborhood with their friends...no seatbelts or any other safety gear. If there's a really wide sidewalk, I will sometimes have to dive out of the way to avoid getting run over. And, WE AREN'T ANYWHERE NEAR A GOLF COURSE! This might just be a problem in my neighborhood, but I don't think it's unique to my neighborhood.
  • Christmas Lights Before Thanksgiving and After New Years Day
    • Why it shouldn't bother me. People want to celebrate their favorite holiday. It should be a positive thing, right?
    • Why I can't stand it. I don't mind when people leave their lights up until the weather gets nice. It's Michigan, after all, and I don't expect people to risk their safety when it's freezing outside. But, some people turn their lights on well into January. That can't be an accident.

• Christmas Lights Before Thanksgiving and After New Years Day
    • Why it shouldn't bother me. People want to celebrate their favorite holiday. It should be a positive thing, right?
    • Why I can't stand it. I don't mind when people leave their lights up until the weather gets nice. It's Michigan, after all, and I don't expect people to risk their safety when it's freezing outside. But, some people turn their lights on well into January. That can't be an accident.

They could be on a timer and they don't even think about it. We always put ours on timers, but we lived in homeowner associations when we still put up lights and were limited time wise about holiday decorations being up. You'd get a letter if too early or too late, and then potentially a fine if you didn't remedy the situation.

Back
Top Bottom