Pet Peeves

I said I wasn't going to add anything, because that's a thread no one wants to start pulling, but here goes the first one:

I can't have any food containers in the cupboard or wherever they're stored, like cereal boxes or canned goods, flour bags, whatever, with the nutrition label showing. That has to be hidden.

For whatever reason, I don't know why, but nutrition labels are unsightly, and I get irritated when I see them, except when I'm actually reading them for information.

For whatever reason, I don't know why, but nutrition labels are unsightly, and I get irritated when I see them, except when I'm actually reading them for information.

Funny you mention that. My wife is the same way I comes to price tags. She doesn’t want to see how much it cost sometimes: she just wants to buy it. :laugh:

Even though I was an English Language major in college, I don't mind when people mispronounce words. I have learned that words evolve over time based on usage, whether it's due to an influx of people from different regions or whatever.

Having said that, in the early days of associating with my sister-in-law, she had the most hilarious mispronunciations. Here's my favorite:
  • Filet mignon - she'd say "fill-let mig-non". Yep...she was sounding it out.
    • She'd say, "The fill-et mig-non here is to die for." I'd say, "Yes...I think I will try the filet mignon (using the correct pronunciation)". Sometimes she'd give me a weird look, like I was the one mispronouncing it.
    • Over time, she started saying filet correctly, but she'd still say "filet mig-non".
    • It took about 10 years, but she now pronounces it correctly.
And, what she said about the filet (or fill-et) being to die for is an expression I absolutely hate. Really? That steak is so good that you're willing to lay down your life just to eat it?

My wife cringes when one of her bestys orders steak with jus. Not Jew, just jus, without the t.
Even when my wife pronounces it right it goes over her head. We call it jus now as well.

Russ

They could be on a timer and they don't even think about it. We always put ours on timers, but we lived in homeowner associations when we still put up lights and were limited time wise about holiday decorations being up. You'd get a letter if too early or too late, and then potentially a fine if you didn't remedy the situation.
My solar lights are still flashing now at night. We love it at night looking down at them. Makes me smile. We will replace them near Xmas for new ones. Daylight savings so it's dark now at 6ish.

Russ

Even though I was an English Language major in college, I don't mind when people mispronounce words. I have learned that words evolve over time based on usage, whether it's due to an influx of people from different regions or whatever.

Having said that, in the early days of associating with my sister-in-law, she had the most hilarious mispronunciations. Here's my favorite:
  • Filet mignon - she'd say "fill-let mig-non". Yep...she was sounding it out.
    • She'd say, "The fill-et mig-non here is to die for." I'd say, "Yes...I think I will try the filet mignon (using the correct pronunciation)". Sometimes she'd give me a weird look, like I was the one mispronouncing it.
    • Over time, she started saying filet correctly, but she'd still say "filet mig-non".
    • It took about 10 years, but she now pronounces it correctly.
And, what she said about the filet (or fill-et) being to die for is an expression I absolutely hate. Really? That steak is so good that you're willing to lay down your life just to eat it?

I believe fill-et (instead of fee-lay) is commonly used in the UK. Maybe a Brit can chime in. I know I hear it mispronounced that way on YouTube videos.

CD

I believe fill-et (instead of fee-lay) is commonly used in the UK. Maybe a Brit can chime in. I know I hear it mispronounced that way on YouTube videos.

CD
That's because there was a time when no self-respecting Englishman would dirty their mouth with a French word. :laugh:

It's funny now that I remember it, because Nigella Lawson was on Splendid Table (American NPR radio show) and what's the first thing the host asked her: "What's up with the way you say 'pudding' instead of 'dessert?'"

In typical Nigella fashion, she gave a languid, soothing, sensual, long-winded response, with historical sidebars and highlights, that essentially came down to, "Back then, no everyday Englishman would be caught speaking French!"

CD

Yes - technically fillet with a hard 't'. To rhyme with millet.

Pretty sure I remember Gordon pronouncing it as fill-it.

A question of accent. I'd pronounce it more with a glottalised 't' and with the 'e' as in 'yet'. glottalised consonants are common in spoken British English.

Last edited:
Yep we pronounce it with either a hard T at the end, or the glottal stop as Morning Glory says. Someone saying it with the French pronunciation would probably sound quite pretentious to British ears :happy:

But I wonder how often the description filet mignon is seen outside the USA? I don't recall seeing it on (m)any menus around Europe - we tend to call it fillet steak, and in France I think they use tournedos more than filet mignon.

Yep we pronounce it with either a hard T at the end, or the glottal stop as Morning Glory says. Someone saying it with the French pronunciation would probably sound quite pretentious to British ears :happy:

But I wonder how often the description filet mignon is seen outside the USA? I don't recall seeing it on (m)any menus around Europe - we tend to call it fillet steak, and in France I think they use tournedos more than filet mignon.

Fill -ay is not pretentious in the USA. Everyone from old money to blue collar says it that way. It does not just apply to filet mignon, such as filet of fish.

There is a British YouTube cooking channel that I really like, but one of the stars insists on mispronouncing foreign words. Filet, taco, tortilla, paella -- mispronounced even when his co-stars pronounce things right. They did their show from Texas, where they spent at least a week, and he mispronounced taco and tortilla the whole time he was here. That came across as seriously pretentious to me.

CD

I used to have a friend, a much older man, that loved to go out to high-end restaurants, what he called hoity-toity places, and mispronounce words just to watch the waiters and maitre d' cringe. Like fill-et mig-non, horses du vers, cham-pag-ne, crep-e. He was fun to be around, had quite a zest for life and he loved my DD like a grandfather.

I used to have a friend, a much older man, that loved to go out to high-end restaurants, what he called hoity-toity places, and mispronounce words just to watch the waiters and maitre d' cringe. Like fill-et mig-non, horses du vers, cham-pag-ne, crep-e. He was fun to be around, had quite a zest for life and he loved my DD like a grandfather.

I'll say things like "horse duvers" among friends, but not at a fine dining restaurant. I can't afford to dine like that often, so I like to immerse myself in the experience.

CD

I'll say things like "horse duvers" among friends, but not at a fine dining restaurant. I can't afford to dine like that often, so I like to immerse myself in the experience.

CD

He was a businessman on an expense account that had to wine and dine others. We're talking almost 40 years ago from the beginning. And just in case anybody is wondering, it truly was just a close friendship, he basically became family over time.

Back
Top Bottom