3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
4 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled
6 dill sprigs

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450°. Wrap the beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour, until tender. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and quarter the beets.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, garlic, sugar, peppercorns and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer over moderately high heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Let the pickling liquid cool to warm, about 15 minutes.

Layer the beets, onion, eggs and dill in a heatproof 1-quart glass jar and cover with the pickling liquid. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The pickled beets and eggs can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Recipe courtesy of foodandwine.com

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

Vibrant! I love pickled eggs. How long did you leave them steeping?
Thanks! I think I made them Monday, forgetting that I had a medical procedure that meant no solid foods on Tuesday and Wednesday, so we ate them Thursday.

In looking at pics online, I'm puzzled how so many people are able to slice eggs for presentation without getting any streaks of beet juice on the inner whites and yolks. :scratchhead:

Do you appreciate how I artfully trimmed my chive stalks on the bias in that second photo? :laugh:

Of course.
In looking at pics online, I'm puzzled how so many people are able to slice eggs for presentation without getting any streaks of beet juice on the inner whites and yolks. :scratchhead:

In your photos, it looks more like the juice has penetrated the yolk, via marinating (which is no bad thing).

The way I slice hard boiled eggs is using a piece of cotton thread. If pickled in beet juice, pat the egg dry first.

Of course.

In your photos, it looks more like the juice has penetrated the yolk, via marinating (which is no bad thing).

The way I slice hard boiled eggs is using a piece of cotton thread. If pickled in beet juice, pat the egg dry first.
That's awesome!

I also have to confess...that "whole" egg is two halves stuck back together. More memory lapses. I sat right there, taking them out of the jar, saying to myself, "Leave one whole for the photo, Dipsh!t, leave one whole for the photo..."

Then I promptly picked up my knife and sliced them all into halves. That's when I said to myself, "Now you know why I call you Dipsh!t, Dipsh!t." :laugh:

at our local Amish 'inspired' market I found a whole shelf full of pickled eggs in every zillion flavor/spice one can imagine.
took pix. can't find pix.
will take another pix and post - do not hold your breath....

at our local Amish 'inspired' market I found a whole shelf full of pickled eggs in every zillion flavor/spice one can imagine.
took pix. can't find pix.
will take another pix and post - do not hold your breath....
We have a lot of those markets around here, and I'm amazed at how...worldly?...some of these things are, they definitely keep up with the times and the tastes. It's almost like "Amish" is a concept being peddled by some corporate entity... :whistling:

rather a lot of the merchants are indeed Amish, some Mennonite - but there also non-plain folks merchants.

I think the most abused bit is the rolls of "Amish Butter" - they're labelled with the USDA creamery plant ID, and there's nothing Amish about them....

found the pix:

Back
Top Bottom