The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:50 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_3910.jpeg

There aren't many times when I need to have a food item, but this was one of those times. When I have sushi, I need to have pickled ginger. The ginger that came with the sushi (excellent, purchased from a high end specialty market) wasn't enough. This recipe comes together quickly, but the ginger won't necessarily be ready to eat quickly. I forgot how spicy ginger can be in its raw form.

Ingredients

6 ounces ginger root
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons honey (or more depending on desired intensity)
1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt

Directions

1. Using a teaspoon, scrape the skin off the exterior of the ginger root.

IMG_3907.jpeg

2. Slice thinly (I set my mandolin to 2 mm).

IMG_3908.jpeg

3. Place sliced ginger in a jar. Bring water to a boil and fill jar with remaining ingredients. Give the jar a good shake, and leave to cool at room temperature for an hour. Refrigerate for 4 hours, then check the taste of the ginger. If it's too harsh, add another tablespoon of honey, shake well, and refrigerate again. Recheck and adjust as needed.

IMG_3909.jpeg

My ginger often turns pinkish when I pickle it.
I visited Japan long long time ago (before Europe knew about karaoke and sushi).
I got sushi, as the Japanese didn't think I could eat raw fish.
So I have some, and I see this nice salmon to the side and I dug into it as I love salmon...
It brought tears to my eyes, it was pickled ginger.....

My ginger often turns pinkish when I pickle it.
I visited Japan long long time ago (before Europe knew about karaoke and sushi).
I got sushi, as the Japanese didn't think I could eat raw fish.
So I have some, and I see this nice salmon to the side and I dug into it as I love salmon...
It brought tears to my eyes, it was pickled ginger.....

I think I remember reading that the younger the ginger is the more likely it will turn pinkish. I've picked some a time or 2 in the past so was probably reading a recipe somewhere.

I think I remember reading that the younger the ginger is the more likely it will turn pinkish. I've picked some a time or 2 in the past so was probably reading a recipe somewhere.

I think you're right about that, but this is an interesting read. Since young ginger is less readily available, it seems that restaurants use a bit of beet juice to make it look like it's made from young ginger:

Why is Pink Ginger Sushi | SUSHI INC

Back
Top Bottom