Pickled Jalapeños

1 (1 Pt.) Wide Mouth Mason Jar

1 C. white vinegar
1 C. water
3 cloves garlic smashed
2 TBSP. sugar
1 TBSP. salt
4 - 5 jalapeño peppers thinly sliced

Combine the vinegar, water, garlic, sugar, and salt in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
Add jalapeño slices, stir, and remove from heat.
Let sit for at least 8 minutes then use tongs to remove the jalapeños from the pot to jar; cover with the brining liquid to fill the jar.
Store in the fridge for up to two months.

pickled_jalapeño_120921_IMG_8993.jpg

Last edited:
That is virtually identical to my recipe.

CD
It’s a fairy basic recipe. I looked at a bunch of them online and they were all basically the same. I saw one that called for red pepper flakes and another one that had pickling spices added. I did add dried red peppers to the jar once. But DD liked this one.

Damn - you beat me to it! I´m still going to post it though - Jalapeños en Escabeche. Bought the jalapeños this morning . Slightly different from yours (thank goodness) but close.

Jalapeños are scarce around these parts so if I'm pickling chillis it will be Thai hot chillis.....

or alternatively the milder cayenne chillis....

I slice them (or cut them with scissors), drop them in jars with chopped garlic and/or mustard seeds and/or whole black peppercorns and then just top up with white 5% vinegar. Fit the lid and leave in the refrigerator for a couple of days. I have topped the jars up with more chillis and vinegar a couple of times before discarding the vinegar and starting again.

Jalapeños are scarce around these parts so if I'm pickling chillis it will be Thai hot chillis....

or alternatively the milder cayenne chillis....

The cayenne peppers I grow are not mild at all. They are scorchers. I've been told it is the hot dry climate that makes chilis hot when grown in North Texas. I don't know if that is true, but my chilis are HOT, especially late in the season, when we are often in drought conditions.

CD

The cayenne peppers I grow are not mild at all. They are scorchers. I've been told it is the hot dry climate that makes chilis hot when grown in North Texas. I don't know if that is true, but my chilis are HOT, especially late in the season, when we are often in drought conditions.

CD

I suppose it's relative. I have jalapeños at 2,500 - 5,000 SHUs and cayennes at 30,000 - 50,000 SHUs. Thai hot chillis are roughly twice as hot as cayennes (according to my information).

I suppose it's relative. I have jalapeños at 2,500 - 5,000 SHUs and cayennes at 30,000 - 50,000 SHUs. Thai hot chillis are roughly twice as hot as cayennes (according to my information).

From my own experience in growing chilis, the Scoville ratings seem to represent an average. In real life, chilis vary in heat by a lot. I've grown thai chilis before along with cayennes, once, and they seemed redundant, to me. They looked and tasted very much the same. I got a greater yield from the cayennes, so they are part of my annual plantings.

CD

Back
Top Bottom