Recipe Pina Colada wings

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:00 PM
full.jpg

These were REALLY good. We both wished we'd made more after eating them. Recipe can easily be multiplied for however many you want to make. If you are using really large wings, may need to cook a few minutes more. The wings we were using were normal size to a little smallish.

7 whole chicken wings
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, divided
3/4 cup (6 oz) pineapple juice (I used 1 can of the 6 pack of Dole pineapple juice cans), divided
4 Tbsp spiced rum, divided
1/2 cup pineapple preserves
1-1/2 tsp Tamari/light soy sauce (I like Pearl River brand)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups grated coconut, toasted

Prepare the wings by cutting/separating at the joints and discarding the tips or save them for stock. You will end up with 14 wing pieces.

Make the marinade by combining 1/2 cup coconut milk, 3 ounces pineapple juice and 2 Tbsp rum in a large plastic bag. Place the wing pieces in the bag, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 3 hours.

Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk, 2 Tbsp rum, and 3 ounces pineapple juice, plus the pineapple preserves in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring very frequently, and cook mixture until it is reduced to a fairly thick consistency, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the soy sauce and the salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 425. Cover a sheet pan large enough to hold wings in single layer with heavy duty foil, then spray with cooking spray. Remove the wings from the marinade (discard) and blot dry with paper towels. Place the wings on the sheet tray and place in the oven for 12 minutes. Then, brush the wings with some of the sauce, turn over and brush again with the sauce. Cook for an additional 12 minutes. Repeat the brushing and turning once more, cooking for another 12 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with the coconut, serve.

Last edited:
Like orange marmalade, except pineapple.

Silly me - I should have realised that. I think it was the fact that the word preserves was plural 'preserves'. which in the UK, in relation to an ingredient list wouldn't indicate a marmalade/jam type thing. Preserves (plural) in an ingredient list would mean several whole pieces of fruit preserved. Otherwise, 'preserves' would mean several jars of a preserve (as in jam).

Sounds like I'm nit-picking but I'm not really! I think its just a US/UK language thingy.

Back
Top Bottom