Pineapple pizza recipe development

Back on topic with the satanic pizza.

So far I have:

Pineapple pieces. I'm thinking of charring them :D
White sauce - possibly mozzarella and ricotta. May also use a cheese with more 'bite'.
Onion - I'm favouring red onion as I think this pizza needs the colour
Ham - I'm veering towards prosciutto or pancetta/bacon
Green stuff - not sure about green peppers. Ideas welcome
Chilli (sorry @cookieee) - Scotch bonnet
I don't know about the green peppers, I personally don't like them but majority rules. lol

I don't know about the green peppers, I personally don't like them but majority rules. lol

I don't like them either too much unless cooked down. They work in 'the trinity' (which I learned about from this forum). I was thinking there have to be other green things I could use. Suggestions...

Pineapple can work well with shellfish too. Seen in Asian cuisine - salty v. sweet.

I just did a Google image search for 'pineapple pizza'. Nothing grabbed me. I'm sure I can do better, visually at least.

I don't like them either too much unless cooked down. They work in 'the trinity' (which I learned about from this forum). I was thinking there have to be other green things I could use. Suggestions...
Why?
If you do want green, how about the green stems of scallion? I know you have onion but a few stems for looks.?

Last edited:
I'm on another forum, and there's a continuing pineapple-pizza discussion going on there, and someone there uses puréed pineapple in place of tomato sauce.

May be a different way to think about the whole thing...

Asparagus or broccoli. Put an egg on top and have a breakfast pizza. Ham or bacon and eggs. Pineapple on the side. :wink:

I'm on another forum, and there's a continuing pineapple-pizza discussion going on there, and someone there uses puréed pineapple in place of tomato sauce.

May be a different way to think about the whole thing...

Oh! Not sure I can come round to that idea - but its an interesting concept.

Why?
If you do want green, how about the green stems of scallion? I know you have onion but a few stems for looks.?

I just don't particularly like crunchy green peppers. I don't find they taste of much. But maybe they would work with the pineapple and chilli - like a salsa...

Yes - green Spring onions (scallions) or chives.

Yes - asparagus or broccoli would look good. Not sure broccoli would have time to cook though.
Just par-cook any raw veggies. I usually do that to get the water out anyway, so I don't end up with a soggy pizza.

Peppers, onions, mushrooms (for the wife), they spend some time in the fry pan first. It also gives the opportunity to flavor them with something if you like.

Back on topic with the satanic pizza.

So far I have:

Pineapple pieces. I'm thinking of charring them :D
White sauce - possibly mozzarella and ricotta. May also use a cheese with more 'bite'.
Onion - I'm favouring red onion as I think this pizza needs the colour
Ham - I'm veering towards prosciutto or pancetta/bacon
Green stuff - not sure about green peppers. Ideas welcome
Chilli (sorry @cookieee) - Scotch bonnet

If I were to make a pizza with some weird ingredient on it - pineapple, for example - I'd want to find something that I might like that ingredient on, and then translate that to work on a pizza. My first thought was hot peppers, and you've already gotten that: when you want to balance something that's too sweet, spicy is often a good counterpoint.

Some ideas:
  • Pineapple Curry Pizza - all the goodness of a curry, with a pineapple chutney in place of the red sauce
  • Sweet and Sour Pork Pizza or Chicken Teriyaki Pizza - pineapples typically appear in sweet and sour pork, so why not on a crust instead of on a bed of rice?
  • Chicken Fajita Pizza - use a pineapple salsa for the sauce, and top with chicken, onion, peppers, and cheddar.

If I were to make a pizza with some weird ingredient on it - pineapple, for example - I'd want to find something that I might like that ingredient on, and then translate that to work on a pizza. My first thought was hot peppers, and you've already gotten that: when you want to balance something that's too sweet, spicy is often a good counterpoint.

Some ideas:
  • Pineapple Curry Pizza - all the goodness of a curry, with a pineapple chutney in place of the red sauce
  • Sweet and Sour Pork Pizza or Chicken Teriyaki Pizza - pineapples typically appear in sweet and sour pork, so why not on a crust instead of on a bed of rice?
  • Chicken Fajita Pizza - use a pineapple salsa for the sauce, and top with chicken, onion, peppers, and cheddar.

Excellent ideas! Need to think...

Back
Top Bottom